+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXR newbie

Default Insignia VXR from CDTI

Afternoon All

Handed back my company Insignia 2.0 CDTI due to a job change recently. Fab cars in general but I've been itching after an Insignia VXR for ages, and now because of a markedly reduced annual mileage I've started to seriously look for one this week.

Found one locally (Evans Halshaw Sunderland) - 28k miles, '64 Reg, FMDSH and freshly serviced this week. At £17k I think it's priced fairly enough. Few options on it including electric heated Recaros with memory, but bizarrely neither front or rear parking sensors. Not a deal breaker but the fact it's had 4 owners in 3.5 years puts me off slightly. It's only been sold through their dealer network since new so I've got confidence there's nothing wrong with it but it's a little worrying that it's changed hands so frequently.

I've looked through a few old posts and there seems to be more issues with older cars i.e. are stretched chains still an issue on the post-facelift cars (this one was registered Sep 2014)? Can't find any horror stories on newer vehicles? I had the sales guy start it with my ear glued to the top of the chain cover and heard no death rattle on cold start up. Also as regards the Haldex system, I've owned a few Audi models with a Haldex rear diff, I understand it doesn't really need much attention i.e. lubricant/filter change until around 40k miles or is this different with the VXR? Car drove fine, there's obviously one warning light on - fuel, but I'm not expecting anywhere near diesel levels of economy.

I've had my concerns allayed somewhat by the dealer who quickly agreed to throwing in a 2 year comprehensive warranty for nothing if it sealed the deal (which would cover engine and drivetrain issues like the above). I guess they're either confident in the car or desperate to get rid of it, hopefully it's the former.

Any other buying advice in general would be great, I'd much rather ask on here, a great knowledge base, than on a generic forum where all anyone wants to do is slate Vauxhalls without ever having driven one.

Thanks in advance

Dave

4 owners does seem a bit odd but there might be nothing in it. 64 plate with the low mileage and full 2 year warranty i dont think you have too much to worry about. You could always get an independant inspection to put your mind at rest.
    My Vauxhall history - 92 Cavalier GSI 2000 4x4, 99 Vectra B GSI, 04 Vectra C GSI, 08 Vectra VXR, 15 Insignia VXR

VXR newbie

Thanks jasez28net, I've since found out that one owner was Evans Halshaw themselves as a demo car, which might explain the strange spec. I hadn't considered an independent inspection so yours is a very good point.

The warranty of course should put most people's minds at rest as you rightly say, mine included! I'd just be interested to know if the issues with the chains carry on to face-lift models?

If so, I'd be still very inclined to buy, I'd just be handing it back to the dealer at the earliest signs of any hesitation/misfire.

Thanks again

Dave

The chain material and treatment was changed around 2011, after which the issues should be gone, so shouldn’t be a worry anymore, but you never know if you buy a lemon... but that happens on any car, so don’t worry about that.

Mine stretched the chains, but it came without any prior warnings, rattle, misfires or hesitation.

The haldex should also be good, but again, if it has been mistreated, you can be unlucky.

I made the same switch as you from a CDTi to Opc and can only say DO IT! Especially if you get a proper warranty service on it. Only thing I ran into (besides the chains) was a few electrical gremlins which came sort of spuriously and was very hard to track down. Had them on both cars, but both were ‘10 cars, so they mught have improved the electrics since then...
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXRed

imho thats overpriced.
    i picked up a may 2015 model last July for just over 17k with 20k miles and 1 owner.... also have a cdti 14 elite.... night and day comparison.
    i thought the seats were always electric heated.
    mine has parking sensors... rear camera.. nav and those wee lane warning bits on the mirrors.
    so id advice you keep shopping about as the price is already high enough to buy a 15 car and your own warranty

VXR newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    The chain material and treatment was changed around 2011, after which the issues should be gone, so shouldn’t be a worry anymore, but you never know if you buy a lemon... but that happens on any car, so don’t worry about that.

Mine stretched the chains, but it came without any prior warnings, rattle, misfires or hesitation.

The haldex should also be good, but again, if it has been mistreated, you can be unlucky.

I made the same switch as you from a CDTi to Opc and can only say DO IT! Especially if you get a proper warranty service on it. Only thing I ran into (besides the chains) was a few electrical gremlins which came sort of spuriously and was very hard to track down. Had them on both cars, but both were ‘10 cars, so they mught have improved the electrics since then...
    I had 3 Insignias wagon. First was 2.0T 250bhp 4x4 from January 2012. I really loved it. The Haldex friction plates crumbled at 57.000 km (app. 40.000 miles?). Mine was the case of a bad seal and fluids mixed. Later I learned it was one of the last cars produced with the "old" Haldex. Bad luck! The 2nd one was 2.0 Cdti 140bhp without adaptive dampers. After the experience with the first one I didn't like the soft suspension and understeering. It was good for mileage but I didn't like it. So I took the jump and got the OPC Unlimited in 2016. The car is everything I was hoping it to be and more. The best value for money. So far zero issues. I have changed fluids in the rear differential recently at 48.000km. They were only slightly unclear. And the car actually in average consumes 1.5 l/100 km less than the 2.0T. For a simple reason: on the highway at 4.000 rpm it goes 190 km/hour, while 2.0T at the same revs goes 160. I was thinking of buying the OPC from the beginning but was afraid of the running costs. Now that I have it I am sorry I didn't do it in the first place.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Bardo
    Insignia ST OPC Unlimited

Ummm, my 2015 VXR Saloon will be up for sale very shortly.
    46k miles, Technical Grey, full leather, 20” inch wheels.
    Owned from new, full main dealer history.
    2 year Network Q warranty transferrable to new owner!

I’ll probably try eBay and see what happens, but basically someone just needs to beat the dealer offer - this should not be hard
    Last edited by dvinell; 11th April 2018 at 11:10 PM.

VXR newbie

Thanks all, some good advice for sure.

Looks like the Haldex might still be a weak point with these VXRs then but as it doesn't have any symptoms at the minute (did the full lock in reverse around a corner with no ill-effects) there's nothing really that can be done about that.

imho thats overpriced.
    i picked up a may 2015 model last July for just over 17k with 20k miles and 1 owner....
    I agree that it's not particularly cheap but it is superbly presented as it stands. I'll speak to the dealer again today, see what they're prepared to do on price.

Thanks again

Dave

VXRed

also mine was from a Vauxhall dealer.. not private and they threw in 3 basic annual services... which from them are over £300 each

Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    which from them are over £300 each
    Now THAT is overpriced my local Opel garage offered service on any Opel out of warranty for 130£. They didn’t really like it when I came in with the OPC!
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast