+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Remap questions

Default Remap questions

Ok so I'm looking at remapping the car there's a place in Stockport called quantum that do "stage 1" seems like a laptop do at your door kinda job tho, I have some questions as usual

Injectors theory, for stage 1 let's say 189bhp to 210 does uprating the injectors matter? I've seen some tuners say that standard injectors are fine if in good condition and are more than capable or handling stage 1.

Let's say the injectors are not improved because are currently fine and then you have a map, over time the injectors wear... Would that cause the p4 problem because the injectors have worn and map caused it.

I've seen people say piston 4 would only melt on a mapped car but also seen one person say it happened to them on standard, in your opinion does p4 only happen because the car was mapped? Or can p4 go because of other reasons

Other than possible uprated injectors would anything else be worth considering for stage 1, also how noticeable is the jump from standard to stage 1. Did it make you go wow just like first time drove a fast car?

Are there different types of stage 1, eg one for saving petrol another for pure speed etc

Thanks that's all I can think of at the moment

Any info much appreciated

1- Go with a reputable tuner who are known for their quality work on VXRs.. I'd avoid Quantum if they just throw a map on at your door.
    2- Do not go stage 1 or any other stage without uprated injectors.. it's not that much more cost wise and it'll save you the worry and/or problems.
    3- P4 can go on standard or tuned cars. It all comes down to the care and upkeep of the car.. allow to heat up before going on boost, allow to cool down before switching off, keep on top of oil levels etc... a bit of mechanical sympathy goes a long, long way.
    4- Only uprated injectors and a remap are needed for stage 1. The difference between standard and stage 1 are night and day.
    5- There are different types of remaps but for VXRs/performance they tend to be to maximise flow to get the best increase in power/torque. That said, your MPG can increase if you don't have a heavy right foot all of the time.. my standard Corsa was 28MPG and after going stage 1 I was seeing 32MPG.

I had my Corsa from new and was standard for a while, went stage 1 and then to 3 a year later. Ran the car for 20k miles while tuned and never had an issue.

More info on different stages of tuning here: http://www.wgmotorworks.co.uk/vxr-tuning/corsa-vxr/
    More info on general care for your car here: http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...R-A-User-Guide

Hope this helps!
    Stage 3 Corsa VXR- Gone!
    Octavia VRS TSI MK3

I was running a 210 bhp quantum remap for over 12 months with no issues what so ever, when I got mapped to stage 3 earlier in the week I got told the quantum remap was fine and running well within the standard injectors limits.
    Silver Lightning Corsa VXR

VXR enough

I echo most of the points above.

I also actually have a Bluefin generic map on my car and have had for 3 years without problems....I have no issues with generic maps on standard injectors bearing in mind the caveat of injector condition and not trying to run mods which the map doesn't know about.

AFAIK a lot of Quantums staff came from Superchips so i'm sure their maps will technically be "fine".

That said while my car jumped from 150 to 200 ish brake with Bluefin stage 1 for you is only a 20 brake gain which isn't really worth forking out 300ish quid for IMO.

(And yes i know its about how the car drives but really if you spend 300 odd quid and the car is no faster i think you'll be disappointed).

I think you'd be better to collect some supporting mods first then go for mapping and unlock the cars real potential TBH.
    Corsa SRI Turbo and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE

Interesting and thanks for all the replies, I'm tempted to get the quantum stage 1 remap as it's only stage one if went 2 then maybe a more well known tuner. So if someone has uprated injectors I'm assuming they could still get the p4 issue or does injectors completely rule that out? Also when the cars remapped I'm assuming the spanner would still show up if something breaks and could still read codes just like on a standard car, wouldnt have to go back to quantum etc, I've seen bluefin on eBay fairly cheap but heard people say its terrible so never really looked into it. How much is it to forge the engine, I'm assuming this is something that only done when trying to achieve 300+bhp

VXR enough

Quote Originally Posted by Arron D View Post
    Interesting and thanks for all the replies, I'm tempted to get the quantum stage 1 remap as it's only stage one if went 2 then maybe a more well known tuner. So if someone has uprated injectors I'm assuming they could still get the p4 issue or does injectors completely rule that out? Also when the cars remapped I'm assuming the spanner would still show up if something breaks and could still read codes just like on a standard car, wouldnt have to go back to quantum etc, I've seen bluefin on eBay fairly cheap but heard people say its terrible so never really looked into it. How much is it to forge the engine, I'm assuming this is something that only done when trying to achieve 300+bhp
    There are several causes to P4 but usually fuelling is the main problem, fitting injectors will give extra safety but it doesn't mean it won't happen....after all it can happen on standard cars.

You can still read codes etc if the car is mapped.

If you think you'll go more than stage 1 in the future don't muck about, just collect the mod for the stage you want and then map once otherwise you're wasting money. Stage 1 is only 20 bhp gain - you'll make almost that just with fitting parts like exhaust anyway then its ready for more power.

Forging the engine is several thousand but not required. Again it will add a degree of safety but there have been people whose forged engines have gone for one reason or another so worth it?? Its cheaper to repair a broken standard engine than a broken forged engine.
    Last edited by u33db; 13th April 2018 at 07:59 AM.

Whats required with stage 2 I have 2 piece remus exhaust I'm assuming I'd need the 3rd piece and uprated injectors and intercooler. Im concerned about p4 because if that went and cost £3000+ then I think that would be it for car, I'd have to beg work for company car or get cheap run around, but at same time I have itch for more power in this car as I really like looks of it
    Last edited by Arron D; 13th April 2018 at 05:27 PM.

VXR enough

Whats required with stage 2 I have 2 piece remus exhaust I'm assuming I'd need the 3rd piece and uprated injectors and intercooler. Im concerned about p4 because if that went and cost £3000+ then I think that would be it for car, I'd have to beg work for company car or get cheap run around, but at same time I have itch for more power in this car as I really like looks of it
    Stage 2 would be exhaust with decat or sportscat.

It shouldn't put any more stress on the engine than stage 1, but ultimately if you're doing any modifying there is a risk there.

I know its boring but if you need the car and can't take the consequences of something going wrong just leave as is.

Its not exactly a slouch as standard.

I can probably take every consequence bar P4, Im gonna probably use quantum to go stage 1 as it's only 300 quid and although the gains ain't much... I've wasted 300+ on worse things before. Then over time save for stage 2 or 3 when I fully understand what's required, I don't even know the sportcats decat thing, all I know is its something to do with exhaust so I've got some researching to do

VXRacing ahead

Ok so I'm looking at remapping the car there's a place in Stockport called quantum that do "stage 1" seems like a laptop do at your door kinda job tho, I have some questions as usual

Injectors theory, for stage 1 let's say 189bhp to 210 does uprating the injectors matter? I've seen some tuners say that standard injectors are fine if in good condition and are more than capable or handling stage 1.

Let's say the injectors are not improved because are currently fine and then you have a map, over time the injectors wear... Would that cause the p4 problem because the injectors have worn and map caused it.

I've seen people say piston 4 would only melt on a mapped car but also seen one person say it happened to them on standard, in your opinion does p4 only happen because the car was mapped? Or can p4 go because of other reasons

Other than possible uprated injectors would anything else be worth considering for stage 1, also how noticeable is the jump from standard to stage 1. Did it make you go wow just like first time drove a fast car?

Are there different types of stage 1, eg one for saving petrol another for pure speed etc

Thanks that's all I can think of at the moment

Any info much appreciated
    Before any stage of tune the biggest issue with P4 is heat
    You need to get the temp down with a good quality forge or Airtec intercooler and a quality air filter
    Also put a good quality 5w 40 motor oil in like Motul,shell helix ultra or millers
    Then get injectors done get a decent 3” turbo back exhaust and go straight to stage 3
    Otherwise better off staying standard
    But if you want stage 1 I would still do exhaust and intercooler bare minimum and have a bit of mechanical sympathy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast