+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    VXR newbie

Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    hard acceleration is happening faster than the actuator can open so perhaps its sticking a little....so the map setpoint for high boost is being hit.... is the map a true stage 2 or a map 1 with decat mods.
    A true stage 2 map isnt the same as stage 1....the difference is minimal but can have side effects.
    Can you elaborate please? Are you saying that a stage 1 with de-cat mods can be detrimental to the car ie: possibly give over-boost issues? Thanks

VXRed blooded

everything about any remap is based on every part being at or near 100% healthy... turbo actuator springs weaken over time ( giving low boost) ... linkages to the actuator itself tighten up ( boost spikes or over pressure) .. sensor get dirty etc etc( randon fault codes or poor fuelling).. carbon build up inside the turbine side of the turbo housing can seize the actuator so it cant relieve any boost.... though in your case that doesnt appear to be the case...the same build up can restrict the rate the exhaust bypasses at so boost limits can be hit.
    Decat removes back pressure on the turbine wheel so its able to spin up faster and thus boost rises faster.
    if any of the boost regulation and control components arent close to 100%a stage 2 setup will find weaknesses / flaws.
    Did you get the voltage issue sorted and access the fault code history?

VXRed blooded

just been afflicted by P0234 myself... oddly it wont reset via laptop programs.
    initial loss of power but ok power returned after ignition cycling..... just baffled by the fact it wont reset

VXRed

Anything from here that might help?

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh.../567418?page=2

Seems boost control valve is the weak link of the 2.8t, and those who had replaced it seems to have done a waste gate reset of some sort.
    Last edited by fredoops; 21st May 2018 at 03:55 PM.
    ^^Australian^^
    Car 1: 2016 Insignia VXR (Mods: none installed)
    Car 2: 2003 Mk7 Accord 2.4 (Mods: plenty)

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by fredoops View Post
    Anything from here that might help?

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh.../567418?page=2

Seems boost control valve is the weak link of the 2.8t, and those who had replaced it seems to have done a waste gate reset of some sort.
    thanks... long time since i read that document.... used to own a v6 Saab and completely forgot about the reset process

VXRed

thanks... long time since i read that document.... used to own a v6 Saab and completely forgot about the reset process
    I think both the waste gate and the boost solenoid on this car is kaput out of factory if it's so easy for them to go out of sync.

speaking of which, i wonder why haven't anyone upgraded it to a Cobb or AEM or Grimspeed unit yet, it is afterall just a 2 pin plug.

everything about any remap is based on every part being at or near 100% healthy... ?
    I dont know, from what I remember from the Subaru circles (those people upgrade their boost control solenoid to the GM/Pierburg unit we have in our cars)...

Those things (boost solenoids) takes quite vigorous tuning to get right, some times many dyno pulls to get the wastegate duty cycle maps done right. I dont think it's something that can be tuned half arsed. It might just be one of the ecu maps needing more work
    Last edited by fredoops; 22nd May 2018 at 01:41 PM.
    ^^Australian^^

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by fredoops View Post
    I think both the waste gate and the boost solenoid on this car is kaput out of factory if it's so easy for them to go out of sync.

speaking of which, i wonder why haven't anyone upgraded it to a Cobb or AEM or Grimspeed unit yet, it is afterall just a 2 pin plug.

I dont know, from what I remember from the Subaru circles (those people upgrade their boost control solenoid to the GM/Pierburg unit we have in our cars)...

Those things (boost solenoids) takes quite vigorous tuning to get right, some times many dyno pulls to get the wastegate duty cycle maps done right. I dont think it's something that can be tuned half arsed. It might just be one of the ecu maps needing more work
    i suspect the map isnt 100% and ive been in contact with the tuner... the circumstances of the fault arising are the same every time... uphill.. cold morning and hard pull from 3000rpm in 3rd gear.

VXRed

Here's an interesting thread on Wastegate duty cycle and tuning...

note... depending on the tuning software some tuners don't actually have access to the boost/wastegate cycle table to do anything which may have been part of the problem here, eg: HP tuner didn't have the ability to view/adjust wastegate/boost duty in the old 2.8t Saab, that may have carried over to the Insignia...

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...cle-DAL-s-MALT

Edit: also this one about the 2.8 tuning... amaxing to see how little ignition advance thecar has. https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ners-lets-chat!
    Last edited by fredoops; 23rd May 2018 at 01:00 AM.
    ^^Australian^^

VXR newbie

Solved

i took the car back to MW performance in chester to see what they could work out. I can't fault them the technician Tom took the car out understood what was happening (suspected overboost). He went back through what i had done and found a descrepancy with the boost solenoid i had fitted. from the outside it was exactly the same, ports and size etc. but the one i had fitted had no part numbers on it and the bore opf the turbo in was slightly different. Anyway he chaged it for a proper one he had on the shelf and hey presto FULL BOOST.
    so whether the one i had fit was incorrect or faulty i dont know but i was glad to get it solved. It took a bit of good old back to basics fault finding to solve it but fortunately it was something fairly simple.

It is good to have full boost agian it does improve the car alot!
    just thought i would wrap this up for anyone else with this problem.
    cheers

VXRed blooded

yeah... some valves being sold arent the same spec... they work but have significantly smaller diameter internals

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2