+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Default Manifold/Turbo question

So for the last week or so Iíve had an annoying high pitch whistle coming by from the engine when cold that would disappear when warmed up. After some research on here I guessed I either had a cracked manifold, nuts were loose or a stud had snapped off. This morning I had chance to strip the heat shield of and check it, and thankfully it was only a couple of loose nuts.

Now ever since I bought the car I always presumed I could hear the turbo spooling but after dong up the nuts there is no such noise anymore. So my question is are you meant to be able to hear the turbo spool or not? Could it be that the manifold was always loose to a certain degree from purchase? The car pulls like a train still and thereís a noticeable kick in acceleration. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VXR-Carlos; 13th April 2018 at 08:47 AM.

Hi mate, I had the same problem with the whistle. Actually assumed it was the aux belt but after looking over things also discovered it was 1 loose manifold bolt.
    Is it a common thing on these engines for this to happen? Lol

Couldnít answer the question about the turbo spool noise, canít say Iíve ever really noticed it myself.
    If it pulls hard and doesnít make any odd noises I wouldnít worry!
    08' Silver Lightning Astra VXR

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie_b163 View Post
    Hi mate, I had the same problem with the whistle. Actually assumed it was the aux belt but after looking over things also discovered it was 1 loose manifold bolt.
    Is it a common thing on these engines for this to happen? Lol

Couldnít answer the question about the turbo spool noise, canít say Iíve ever really noticed it myself.
    If it pulls hard and doesnít make any odd noises I wouldnít worry!
    Nice one cheers...seems to pull harder than before a little bit I think unless itís a placebo affect. Certainly no odd noises nor any dash lights so Iíll guess all is good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by VXR-Carlos View Post
    Nice one cheers...seems to pull harder than before a little bit I think unless itís a placebo affect. Certainly no odd noises nor any dash lights so Iíll guess all is good with it.

After tightening my bolts up I also thought it felt like it ran better. Maybe it did, or maybe it was placebo for me also. Who knows haha
    08' Silver Lightning Astra VXR

Noise will depend on your intake. Airboxes are usually virtually silent, no induction noise. A cone filter will provide plenty of spool noise.

So its all gonna depend on your intake. Of course if you heard it before it was no doubt from the loose bolt and wasn't supposed to be heard!
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

VXRed

Definitely wasnít an induction sound like from a cone filter so culprit was probably the loose nut/s all along. Just figured itís better to make sure it was the case and not having the turbo packing up on me as well. 👍

+ Reply to Thread