+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Stem seals on the corsa VXR

How prone to failure are the stem seals on the corsa vxr?

I'm running 435 bhp on a GTX turbo, ran fine for 10 months, was using around a litre of oil per 1500-2000 miles but other than that, nothing out of the ordinary. Recently I have started smelling burning oil, looking out of the back window and it's "foggy" from smoke out the back. White/blue (Hard to define exactly what colour) smoke on tick over (video attached)

https://youtu.be/gIvQeyaSWAg

Any ideas what might be the problem or where to start? Thanks.

It's not something I can say pops up in threads often, so I don't think it's a weak point on the Corsa engine.
    I've had cars that went through stem seals like they were breakfast, the oil consumption wasn't anything like the figure you mention. The main smoke was on startup, especially when it was standing for a while. Very little smoke, if any after and certainly no oil smell.
    I'm thinking it's something else, turbo seals or piston rings, but I'd only expect the latter at very high mileage.
    My corsa uses virtually no oil, but it is normal for them to uses bit. I think Vauxhall have actual, expected figures for this.
    What mileage has it done?
    Only other factor is that with increased bhp, things are going to be working at higher levels, so there is going to be some reduced component life.
    SAVE THE VXR AND STOP BUYING SUV TOSH!

Quote Originally Posted by vxrmjp View Post
    It's not something I can say pops up in threads often, so I don't think it's a weak point on the Corsa engine.
    I've had cars that went through stem seals like they were breakfast, the oil consumption wasn't anything like the figure you mention. The main smoke was on startup, especially when it was standing for a while. Very little smoke, if any after and certainly no oil smell.
    I'm thinking it's something else, turbo seals or piston rings, but I'd only expect the latter at very high mileage.
    My corsa uses virtually no oil, but it is normal for them to uses bit. I think Vauxhall have actual, expected figures for this.
    What mileage has it done?
    Only other factor is that with increased bhp, things are going to be working at higher levels, so there is going to be some reduced component life.
    The engine has done 32,000 (20,000 on the forged pistons and rods) and only around 5000 on the new turbo

Like you say, I don't really see the stem seals come up often on the corsa section of this website, is it likely that the turbo seals could have gone so quickly?

when the engine was forged was it bored or standard size pistons reused?
    for all your VXR tuning needs phone courtenays on 01692 404313 or vist www.courtenaysport.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by timmee View Post
    when the engine was forged was it bored or standard size pistons reused?
    Standard piston size was used when forging (Y)

Could be oil getting past the pistons due to not reboring before forging but would highly doubt it due to how low the mileage was when it was done. Did you get the engine forged because of piston or cylinder damage?
    Silver Lightning Corsa VXR

Quote Originally Posted by iamphil View Post
    Could be oil getting past the pistons due to not reboring before forging but would highly doubt it due to how low the mileage was when it was done. Did you get the engine forged because of piston or cylinder damage?
    No mate, was forged due to being at stage 3 and wanted to protect the engine before any damage was done

Remove the intercooler pipe where it connect's to the throttle body and check for any oil deposit.
    Silver Lightning Corsa VXR

Quote Originally Posted by iamphil View Post
    Remove the intercooler pipe where it connect's to the throttle body and check for any oil deposit.
    Will do cheers. Had some development on this problem, has now begun misfiring and sounds like a subaru, i've heard all sorts of shock stories from pistons to hydraulic lifters, comp test came back fine a couple of days ago, think rocker cover is coming off next

The stem seal design on the corsa vxr is not the same design as the astra vxr. the corsa seals are like a trumpet end and the seal is built into it. the base is retained by the valve spring. were the astra vxr seals are a completely different design that can be replaced with the same design as the Z16LER engine design.

i would do what others say check boost pipes for oil. also check hot side of the turbo by removing the downpipe.. if your noticing smoke on gear change i would suspect turbo as i've seen this twice just because you have low mileage one don't rule it out.. 9/10 times if you noticing smoke on a Z16ler engine it's turbo related. then again they usually running the standard BW turbo i had the same problem myself running a GTX2867R. if your getting a puff of smoke on start up i would suspect stem seals. but it's very rare on a Z16LER lump

Good Luck.
    Clique 19
    Jacob Newman
    Rabbid Tunned 375BHP 330FTLBS - GTX2860R Shed Build

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast