+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vented Bonnet

VXR newbie

Default Vented Bonnet

I'm looking at a VxR that has Bonnet vents

Isn't it bad for the engine if rains have easy access to it through the vents? or does it not matter? if it is bad if engine constantly gets wet because the vents is it worth buying the car not knowing if the previous owner has kept it away from rain?

I think water can flick up from the underside in any case
    VXMMI 4 curently for sale. Message for details

VXR enough

I'd personally avoid it like the plague, or at least get the bonnet swapped for a standard one.

Yes water can flick up from underneigth from normal driving but its minimal TBH.

If you've got an aftermarket grill a load more water gets in and the engine bolts start to rust quicker...obviously thats while the car is moving so if you have bonnet vents and water is dripping in even while parked it will rust quicker still.

On any standard bonnet vent there is usually a trap that drains what away properly, doubt any ones added afterwards will come with that...i think anyone that adds them vent and trades it in like that should be shot!
    Corsa SRI Turbo and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE

Personally, I like vents, but, the placement of them, without it looking naff, places the vents over the airfilter (most are using open cones) and also the fuse box. Neither combination are a good match with water. Water being sucked into the cylinders can damage them and the 1.4 limited edition corsa's had a bit of a fire problem, caused by water getting into the fuse box! You've then got possible corrosion around the cutouts, the only way of properly avoiding that is to have the paint repaired properly, that's going to cost a bit.
    It's your car, but you can be taking a bit of a gamble.
    SAVE THE VXR AND STOP BUYING SUV TOSH!

I've run bonnet vents for the last 3 years and had no issues yet. The placement is over the airbox (got a cone inside the box) and over the battery, however I've got a battery bag covering it and been fine with no corrosion.
    Corsa VXR - Stage 2 Rabbid Remapped
    TD Pro Race 1.2's | Airtec Intercooler | Brembo Drilled/Grooved Discs | K&N 57s Induction | NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    Remus 3 Piece | EP Silencer Delete | Remus Cat Back | 5000K HIDs | Boost & Water Temp Gauge | Pressed Plates

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by 20Drift View Post
    I've run bonnet vents for the last 3 years and had no issues yet. The placement is over the airbox (got a cone inside the box) and over the battery, however I've got a battery bag covering it and been fine with no corrosion.
    You got a link for the battery bag?
    i got one this week and need some recommendations for covering the battery

Would like vents fitted into my own bonnet but I would get them colour coded to the car as they don't look good when left just black.
    Silver Lightning Corsa VXR

Quote Originally Posted by LD-VXR View Post
    You got a link for the battery bag?
    i got one this week and need some recommendations for covering the battery
    It's this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-...wAAOSwZ11aZKMe

But you can get stainless ones as well: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-...oAAOSwNmVaaaH5
    Corsa VXR - Stage 2 Rabbid Remapped
    TD Pro Race 1.2's | Airtec Intercooler | Brembo Drilled/Grooved Discs | K&N 57s Induction | NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    Remus 3 Piece | EP Silencer Delete | Remus Cat Back | 5000K HIDs | Boost & Water Temp Gauge | Pressed Plates

+ Reply to Thread