+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Default 2 Piece Brake Rotor alternatives

As we all know Brembo dont like to sell rotor rings by itself..... So Im doing some research lately on the brake rotors for the front, which mine is down to ~50% in the space of a year and half.

There is no way I'm paying almost $2000 AUD for OEM Rotors (thanks to shipping...) As it turned out, the 355 front brake we have on the euro is Shared with the following cars:
    • HOLDEN HSV VE SERIES 2 GXP MALOO / GXP CLUBSPORT *brembo set-up* 2010 onwards (Thats the UK VXR8 from last generation)
    • HOLDEN COMMODORE VE, VF SS REDLINE SERIES 2010 onwards (Chev SS/Pontiac G
    • CHEVROLET CAMARO V8 6.2L SS 2010 onwards

So if you really want to cheap out you can get one of those 1 piece rotors:
    DiskBrakeAustralia (DBA):

T2 range (street usage)
    • DBA2604 (plain)
    • DBA2604S (slotted)
    • DBA2604X (slotted&cross drilled)

DBA T3 range (DBA CLUBSPEC ROAD & RACE)
    • DBA42604S

Or if you like me, want to stay with 2 piece but dont want to pay Brembo prices:

DBA T3 2 PIECE rotor and hat (Clubspec Road and Race)
    • DBA52604BLKS
    • They are $594 AUD or 277 GBP each, they are not directional

Once you have the above, you can buy DBA rotor rings by itself in the future as re-fill, you can choose between:
    • DBA52604.1 (Plain)
    • DBA52604.1S (slotted)
    • DBA52604.1XS (slotted & cross drilled)
    • rotor rings are $310AUD (~170 GBP) each.

Im going with the DBA 2 piece with hat then in the future use the DBA refills, works out much cheaper in the long run.

note: THOSE PARTS ARE NOT SEARCHABLE UNDER "OPEL/VAXHUALL INSIGNIA" on DBA EUROPEs page.

you need to search the part numbers I've given you directly, such as:
    https://www.dbabrakes.eu/discbrakes/31733/DBA52604BLKS

They are listed under HOLDEN INSIGNIA (we kept the best stuff for ourselves lol)

PS: im also currently researching REAR BREMBO upgrade for the insignia, as it turning out the FWD Insignia Platform is more similar to the RWD Holden Commodore platform than it appears, both uses similar cable operating electric handbrake (for my spec anyway).
    Last edited by fredoops; 28th April 2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: updated info
    ^^Australian^^
    Car 1: 2016 Insignia VXR (Mods: none installed)
    Car 2: 2003 Mk7 Accord 2.4 (Mods: plenty)

VXRed blooded

nice find...some showing as out of stock at the minute

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    nice find...some showing as out of stock at the minute
    The 2 piece is custom order from Australia (all DBA race-grade stuff is made in Aus), takes about 3 weeks.
    ^^Australian^^

just make sure they have the McLaren springs as the brembos, or they'll rattle like crazy.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

Top post mate :-)
    Current: Insignia VXR Supersport Unlimited, Corsa Black Edition 1.4t mapped (157bhp).
    Previous: Astra J VXR white (65), Monaro VXR 6.0 LS2, insignia 2.0t sidi vx-line nav (289bhp), V22VXR Vectra VXR Black, Black carbon Flash Insignia VX-Line Nav...215bhp, Astra Gte 2.0l Bertone! MK1 Gte, MK2 Gte 16v, Vectra Gsi 3.2, VXR8 LS2, Astra VXRacing 483.

VXRed blooded

Great find for the front.

Uprated my rear with EBC rotors and redstuff, very happy

VXRed

Rear Rotors are much, much harder to find. Hence why im looking at a factory Brembo option if it can be used.

Now there is ANOTHER option when I looked and found it wont work:
    - Ferrari 360 Challenge brembo rotors, can be had for 300 USD each, however those will NOT fit.
    - Those were made for bigger brembo hubs, (232mm F360 vs 226mm in Insignia). So that idea was shot down fairly quickly.

Im going to use Remsa pads next, made in Spain and rated for 650 degree's celcius.. and very cheap.
    Last edited by fredoops; 1st May 2018 at 01:56 PM.
    ^^Australian^^

Had my front rotors and pads replaced by Jax Tyres in Sydney last November after baulking at the Holden price - Jax charged A$350 each for DBA4000 slotted rotors (could have selected others, but that seemed OK). They put Bendix Ultimate pads on ... they squealed like a banshee. Took it back and Bendix sent out a replacement set which were fitted for free. Still squeaks a little bit, but it did that from new with the original pads and rotors. Holden had helpfully advised that I should expect brake squeal with performance brakes ... and I had to convince them that the rears weren't Brembo ... you can have some funny conversations with the service guys! Here's another one ... when my earlier 2012 Opel Insignia Select had its first service, I expected to pay the capped price of $229. Collected the car and they wanted $299. Why the higher price? Well, it's a diesel - that's the capped price for the diesel Insignia. Heck, I've been putting the wrong fuel in for the last year ...

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by peterdw View Post
    Had my front rotors and pads replaced by Jax Tyres in Sydney last November after baulking at the Holden price
    $1100 each for rotors front was the quote i got. stuff that.

Jax charged A$350 each for DBA4000 slotted rotors (could have selected others, but that seemed OK)
    DBA T3 then, 1 piece, not bad rotors. (DBA42604S is the part number)

Supercheap is currently selling the 2 piece DBA52604BLKS for $509 each, im waiting for them to have a X% off everything sale.

They put Bendix Ultimate pads on ... they squealed like a banshee. Took it back and Bendix sent out a replacement set which were fitted for free. Still squeaks a little bit,
    I avoid Bendix Ultimate like the plague lol

but it did that from new with the original pads and rotors. Holden had helpfully advised that I should expect brake squeal with performance brakes ...
    Same as the SS's and HSV's so I was expecting that

you can have some funny conversations with the service guys!
    ... try the oil filter, Opel slapped a sticker ontop of the GM sticker, so the part number for the insignia 2.8T appears to be different to the Commodores, but guess what....

IT IS A COMMODORE OIL FILTER if you see the fitler itself or the "real" part number sticker, so I've been usingRyco since for my own intermediate service (the 5w30 they use at dealerships gets thin pretty quick).
    Last edited by fredoops; 2nd May 2018 at 05:01 AM.
    ^^Australian^^

+ Reply to Thread