+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Preference??

Quote Originally Posted by nick150 View Post
    That's what I use now on all the cars scrapped the gm crap
    Well if you use it bud...then good enough for me!
    Current: Insignia VXR Supersport Unlimited, Corsa Black Edition 1.4t mapped (157bhp).
    Previous: Astra J VXR white (65), Monaro VXR 6.0 LS2, insignia 2.0t sidi vx-line nav (289bhp), V22VXR Vectra VXR Black, Black carbon Flash Insignia VX-Line Nav...215bhp, Astra Gte 2.0l Bertone! MK1 Gte, MK2 Gte 16v, Vectra Gsi 3.2, VXR8 LS2, Astra VXRacing 483.

Quote Originally Posted by GPH69 View Post
    Even Courtney advertise 5w 40 itís fine , donít do any damage can use either without problems 5w 30 ok for standard car or tuned and the 5w 40 probably more for tunes but spoke to Courtney a while back about oil and they said it should help using the 40 grade to make engine bit quieter
    I still wouldnít risk it. It makes the engine run quieter because it is thicker and therefor dampens rockers more, but it can affect lubrication in low tolerance bearings. I have no idea what Courtney base their statement on, and they probably know more about tuning of engines than I do, but I do have quite a bit of experience with oil and lubrication and have seen how small deviations from specifications can lead to big costs. So I really donít see the reason for changing the viscosity.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXRacing ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    I still wouldnít risk it. It makes the engine run quieter because it is thicker and therefor dampens rockers more, but it can affect lubrication in low tolerance bearings. I have no idea what Courtney base their statement on, and they probably know more about tuning of engines than I do, but I do have quite a bit of experience with oil and lubrication and have seen how small deviations from specifications can lead to big costs. So I really donít see the reason for changing the viscosity.
    Iíve used it in mine for 26k miles and changed every 3k and no issues at all but everyone to there own, I prefer 5w 40 and if you look in the Opel manual it says for hotter countries they recommend 5w 40 , so canít damage engine but Iím only saying what I use not telling anyone to follow me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used it in mine for 26k miles and changed every 3k and no issues at all but everyone to there own, I prefer 5w 40 and if you look in the Opel manual it says for hotter countries they recommend 5w 40 , so can’t damage engine but I’m only saying what I use not telling anyone to follow me

If they say it is okay, then it shouldn’t be a problem. I’m just saying it isn’t something to experiment with because people have personal preferences. I know someone who would run his turbo car on 20w60 because it was tuned and the oil was “racing” spec.

And why do you change every 3k? Seems like total overkill...

VXRacing ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    If they say it is okay, then it shouldnít be a problem. Iím just saying it isnít something to experiment with because people have personal preferences. I know someone who would run his turbo car on 20w60 because it was tuned and the oil was ďracingĒ spec.

And why do you change every 3k? Seems like total overkill...
    I hardly use my car so do it yearly or 3k which is about all I do in it a year really

I hardly use my car so do it yearly or 3k which is about all I do in it a year really

Fair enough then. That seems reasonable. Some people change oil on modern cars like they would on a Cortina... which is a waste of oil. Modern oil is easily good for 10k miles with no issues - my M135i will do up to 30k km on an oil change, but I also change yearly as the additives do degrade, especially if you only drive sporadically as condensation can build up in the engine further degrading the oil.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2