+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Default Gearbox Drain Plug

Hi All,

Rounded off the gearbox drain plug head today trying to get the thing off for a gearbox oil change.

Have been looking online for a replacement but am struggling to find one. Most people are saying that its a T45 torx but mine are not torx they are 8mm hex.

Can anyone advise where to get them from please?

If it helps, I've got the exact same bolts as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=mnSG9SXzUhQ

Wanted to make sure I can replace it before getting the old one off!

Thanks

VXRO's Bulging Eyes burgerken374's Avatar

What's the matter with people these days, every thing must be bought on line or it don't exist. Just go into Vauxhall, under a fiver.
    Astra GTC Summit White with Aero Pack, Navi 600, Rear Parking Sensors, Carbon Diffuser, Carbon Wing Mirrors, Carbon Front Scoops & Carbon Mud Flaps, & Splitter
    BMW Z4 sDrive 35is with DCT, 3.0 Ltr Bi-Turbo, Mineral White, Black Leather & Silver Carbon interior, 340 BHP, 450nm with 50nm 7sec over boost, 0-62 = 4.6sec
    'Clique' # 1

VXRed

Thanks, will give Thurlow Nunn a try in the morning although they are generally useless

I also had the hex ones fitted, wanted new ones and was told they’d been replaced by the torx ones.

Bought four of them as they aren’t expensive. My intentions was to change them every service/drain.

They fit perfectly.

Also, Hex = no washers. T45 = washers.
    *** Cavalier MK3 SRi 130 > Astra J SRi 2.0 CDTi 160 VX Line > GTC SRi 1.6T 180 VX Line > Astra GTC VXR 280 > Focus MK3 ST3 250 ***

VXRed blooded

i always treat mine to some penetrating oil the night before 1st removal... then anti seize grease in between.
    both my 14 and 15 cars have hex plugs and i use a cordless impact gun to undo them... the initial jolt it creates undoes the plug every time without leaving a mark.
    Best place for these bits are the dealers.... may cost a few quid extra but guaranteed to fit

a good quality 8mm hex bit and a decent length ratchet will remove them without damage. Just done the third gearbox oil change on mine and the drain and fill plugs are still undamaged

VXRed

Cheers all for the advice. Got the replacement part today (T45 with washer) and have sorted the problem. Will definitely use some penetrating oil next time and yeah, the right tool does help! I was using a long alan key and have learned the lesson!

+ Reply to Thread