+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

It’s really not as hard as you imagine, have some practice first, you could solder some leds to tin foil.

I’ve done a couple of astras of my own, I was an electronics technician for years but it’s such an easy skill to learn
    Stage 3 Arden Astra gone
    Stage 2 burg

....................Arden Astra .....................
    Airtec Fmic/tophat/direct route/miltek/weight reduction/RnD mapped

Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    It’s really not as hard as you imagine, have some practice first, you could solder some leds to tin foil.

I’ve done a couple of astras of my own, I was an electronics technician for years but it’s such an easy skill to learn
    Here's the instructions I've got, looks easy enough to take apart and everything but until I take a look at how the led's are soldered down I won't really know. As you can see in the other pictures it looks as though they don't have terminals to solder down so this is where I'm going to struggle.
    Silver Lightning Corsa VXR

They do have contacts to solder, they are surface mount leds, this means that they are manufactured to be fitted by machine, the pads on the pcb(silver contacts) are coated with solder paste using a stencil then a machine picks and places the smt components onto the pads, then they go through a reflow oven which melts the solder.

The technique to do this by hand is to put solder into one pad, then using tweezers hold the smd in one hand and heat the soldered pad with the other hand, keep the solder molten and place the smd, keep the smd held while removing the iron from the solder and release the smd a few seconds later when the solder is solid, then simply solder the other side (or on a plcc4 the other 3 pads)

The pads on all types you will encounter are part underneath the smd and part up the side so you can solder by hand or the machine method above
    Stage 3 Arden Astra gone
    Stage 2 burg

Quote Originally Posted by iamphil View Post
    Here's the instructions I've got, looks easy enough to take apart and everything but until I take a look at how the led's are soldered down I won't really know. As you can see in the other pictures it looks as though they don't have terminals to solder down so this is where I'm going to struggle.
    Do these kits include instructions for all the bits of trim to change the smds?
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

Quote Originally Posted by w20adm View Post
    Do these kits include instructions for all the bits of trim to change the smds?
    Not to sure if they are supplied to all the kits, but I only bought the dial kit and on one of the led packages there is a website link which sends you to a website where you download them in pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    They do have contacts to solder, they are surface mount leds, this means that they are manufactured to be fitted by machine, the pads on the pcb(silver contacts) are coated with solder paste using a stencil then a machine picks and places the smt components onto the pads, then they go through a reflow oven which melts the solder.

The technique to do this by hand is to put solder into one pad, then using tweezers hold the smd in one hand and heat the soldered pad with the other hand, keep the solder molten and place the smd, keep the smd held while removing the iron from the solder and release the smd a few seconds later when the solder is solid, then simply solder the other side (or on a plcc4 the other 3 pads)

The pads on all types you will encounter are part underneath the smd and part up the side so you can solder by hand or the machine method above
    Haha you make it sound easy 😄. I'm going to take them out in the morning and give it a go, so I don't need to put anymore solder on the base of the smd as its already got its own solder paste built-in so to speak? Only really need to resolder the contacts on the other side of the circuit board. How easy are the old led/smd to remove and can I kill my dials by doing it myself? 😄😄

Are you VXR enough?

Haha you make it sound easy 😄. I'm going to take them out in the morning and give it a go, so I don't need to put anymore solder on the base of the smd as its already got its own solder paste built-in so to speak? Only really need to resolder the contacts on the other side of the circuit board. How easy are the old led/smd to remove and can I kill my dials by doing it myself? 😄😄
    There only £99 fitted for full conversion would rather pay someone to do it otherwise could get problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GPH69 View Post
    There only £99 fitted for full conversion would rather pay someone to do it otherwise could get problems

I like doing the work on my own car 😊

Quote Originally Posted by GPH69 View Post

I like doing the work on my own car 😊
    Agreed. That 99 quid could be saved. I mean, 3 pound 50 for the smds and instructions, and the work isn't that difficult.

I spose it all comes down to what 99 pound means to each individual.
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

Haha you make it sound easy ��. I'm going to take them out in the morning and give it a go, so I don't need to put anymore solder on the base of the smd as its already got its own solder paste built-in so to speak? Only really need to resolder the contacts on the other side of the circuit board. How easy are the old led/smd to remove and can I kill my dials by doing it myself? ����
    You need solder.
    You should use solder to remove the old ones by melting solder into the contacts to release it from the board. Solder helps melt solder.

Then put a blob of solder on one contact and place the new led into it, then solder the other side.

What I said about solder paste was just a little background of how they are designed to be fitted, but it’s not uncommon to do it by hand, if Just won’t be as neat and takes longer.

I suggest you get a scrap pcb for some practice first
    Stage 3 Arden Astra gone
    Stage 2 burg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast