+ Reply to Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Heavy vibration after driven hard.

Good morning. I hope someone can help shed some light on my latest issue.
    After being driven hard for 10 mins the whole front end vibrates really bad. It almost feels like a flat tyre.
    This has happened a couple of times and only seems to disappear once it's cooled down.
    The car is completely standard.
    Anyone have any ideas where to start?

VXRed blooded

driven hard in what way.... speed or aggressive driving on off the brakes etc.... im thinking a rotor thats warping when hot.... is the vibration there all the time or just when driving
    engine wise it could be a coil pack overheating causing misfire.
    could maybe be a tyre gett8ng too hot and tge increased pressure highlighting a tyre fault.... not uncommon for tyres to gain 7 or 8 psi quickly when driven hard.... mine are 35 cold and can hit 42 just at motorway speeds
    Last edited by genman; 9th May 2018 at 10:16 AM.

VXR newbie

Quite aggressive run down private country roads ��. So bit of speed bit of heavy braking. Can take a while for it to start playing up but once it's does, it seems to get worse before getting better. I pulled over when I felt it start, checked around but couldnt see / feel anything. Set off to limp home and it shakes the whole car even at slow speeds. Once it's been left for a while it's fine. Recon it could be the rotors then? It's defo not engine as it revs and pulls freely and feels fine. Feels mechanical if you know what I mean.

VXRed blooded

a tyre could well cause vibration similar to the brakes if not worse.
    next time stop and try to get a feeling of the heat from the brakes.... tgey will be very hot but any excessive heat will make them quite dark.... a bottle of water is handy to see if one is hotter etc... dont try to touch them by hand.
    these cars can cook the brakes but rare for it to come and go... usually once warped they always cause a steering wobble feel.
    tyre bulging isnt always easy to spot but easy to test.... deliberately pump the fronts to about 42 and see if the vibe starts sooner... if it does then one or both need replaced.

The pads can seize up when the brakes get really hot. I had this ones - it even triggered the ESP warning light. Drove home let it cool, cleaned the brakes with a high pressure cleaner and the vibrations went away.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXR newbie

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know what happens next time.

+ Reply to Thread