+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whining Noise

VXRed

Default Whining Noise

Just checking to see if you guys have any idea what this noise is, it might just be the turbo being a bit whiny for all I know, but I just wanted to double check, especially since I think I need a gearbox rebuild since mine twitches in 1st and 5th and I read that gearbox whine is a thing so it'd be nice to know if that's the problem.

Anyway, here's the video, it's not too obvious to hear in the video however it's very obvious when you're actually sat in the car, but it's most prominent in 2nd, so I'm just trying to make the sound more audible, it's easier to hear towards the end though I think.

https://vimeo.com/268880873

Any advice is appreciated.

100% gearbox mate.
    Stage 2 280bhp 330 torques, Remus exhaust, RARB and DAP springs

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by VXR dean View Post
    100% gearbox mate.
    Ok cheers mate, do I need to get it fixed asap?

If so know any decent places to take it to? I'm currently in the Gloucestershire area.

It depends - it could make that noise for another 20k and be be fine, or it could go tomorrow.

Best to get it sorted ASAP though for piece of mind. Halifax Gearbox and Clutch is closes to you, followed by AS Autocare in Widnes

Quote Originally Posted by tye_time View Post
    It depends - it could make that noise for another 20k and be be fine, or it could go tomorrow.

Best to get it sorted ASAP though for piece of mind. Halifax Gearbox and Clutch is closes to you, followed by AS Autocare in Widnes
    +1
    Stage 2 280bhp 330 torques, Remus exhaust, RARB and DAP springs

VXRed

Ok thanks for the advice, I'll look at getting it booked in asap then.

VXRed

Got it booked in at Halifax Gearbox and clutches, quoted me £400, sound about right?

Is that to replace just the 6th gear bearing? If so then that's a reasonable price.

- sent from OP5T

VXRed

Is that to replace just the 6th gear bearing? If so then that's a reasonable price.

- sent from OP5T
    He said something about a hub? And I think because my gearstick twitches in 1st and 5th he said he’ll probably have to change those bearings which would take the final price to £535?

yeah that seems reasonable - I paid around £640 for a full rebuild, so all bearing replaced.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast