+ Reply to Thread

Default HELP! Whining noise - PAS Pump/Water pump

So had a whining noise that got considerably louder over the past mont. Took the car into Vauxhall and diagnosed a PAS pump. Replaced and the noise was still there.

Now say they will replace the water pump. the car has 23K and is a 2013. I believe the cambelt would need replacing next year, can I just get them to change the water pump or is it best practice to get the cambelt done at the same time.

Something that was due to cost £300 is beginning to spiral!!
    VX History: MK3 Astra Sport, MK4 Astra 2.2 SRI, MK4 ASTRA GSI, VECTRA VXR, Astra GTC (oil burner)

VXRed blooded

Good news is that the J VXR A20NFT engine has a timing chain, and a second chain driving the balance shafts and water pump, so there is no cambelt to change. However, there is a known issue with the chain tensioner on the balance shafts/water pump drive chain, that if the tensioner plunger extends beyond the point needed to sufficiently tension the chain, the plunger is on a ratchet and cannot retract, so over tensions the chain which scrapes on the chain guides and creates a whining sound. This usually happens because the chain was allowed to become too slack when the water pump is changed, especially if the special tool to keep the chain tight was not used, see this post at,

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...o-new-engine!&

What is the history of this whining problem? Did it just occur out of the blue, or after some engine problem, or was work carried out on the engine?
    Last edited by Carbon Flash; 11th May 2018 at 08:56 AM.

VXRed blooded

i'd say its the aircon pump....if not used on a regular basis they pack in....make a dreadful squeal once they die.
    get a long bit of bamboo or some sort of thing rigid tube and use it like a stethoscope off the body of each pump you can safely get at when the engines running...that will eliminate some of the parts that VX are guessing at.
    Silly of them on the PAS...its easy checked by just doing full lock and holding the steering at full lock and listening for a slight change to the sound....healthy PAS sound just make a slight moan at either loack.
    Find a mechanic that builds or tunes cars etc...they will be much better at fault finding....Mainline dealers are generally useless no matter what brand you go for...great at changing parts...awful at fault finding if the computer doesn't tell them whats wrong.

Well after 3 days of vx having the car it appears to have been the water pump and I’m £820 worse off having had the pas pump changed as well!

Car is going to courts in a few weeks for a service and to see if I need an uprated clutch, more expense!
    VX History: MK3 Astra Sport, MK4 Astra 2.2 SRI, MK4 ASTRA GSI, VECTRA VXR, Astra GTC (oil burner)

+ Reply to Thread