+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    VXRed

Default HOW TO - Tablet in dashboard

Materials
    From several sources the Asus NEXUS 7 2013 tablet appears to be the best choice. I bought it at eBay.

The powersupply is also important. The normal setup is a powerconverter which reduces 12 V to 5 V at minimal 1,5A. My experience is not very positive, because your battery drains faster than it will load during your drive. Therefore I chose to do the “No battery-mod”. Info at: the N7carputer-forum, Hardware Mods. I used a simple powerconverter 12V->5V 1,0A for the switched supply and a buck-converter for permanent power (AliExpress: VBESTLIFE High Voltage Power 200W 15A Converter DC-DC 8-60V 48V TO 1-36V 5V 12V 24V 19V Buck Converter Step-down Power Module)

To connect the tablet with the switched power-supply you need an OTG-cable. This is needed for both the switched power and your external memory/USB-stick. Many advise to buy a OTG-cable of excellent quality, but, because I chose for the No-battery-mod a standardcable is good enough.

Next step is to choose your lay-out. I wanted to keep my original headunit (CDC40). My headunit has no AUX-input so I needed a FM-converter and some antennacables. If you have a headunit with AUX-input (CD30/CD70/DVD90?) you only need an AUX-cable to connect to the headphone-output of the NEXUS.

To make space in the dashboard your standard display-unit has to be moved/deleted. I moved my GID to the roofunit.

In order to install the tablet in the dashboard I bought a bezel and a displaybox at the local scrapyard.

The permanent powersupply is mounted, together with a relais (for the switched powersupply and FM-converter) in a emptied harddiskdrive-unit from an old PC and I placed it in the glovebox.

The tablet has to be rooted and needs Timur’s Kernel.

To see the dials moving in the Torque Pro-app you need an OBDII dongle with BlueTooth. I installed it with a right-angled OBDII-cable.

Further needed: wire, shrinktube, plugs, etc.

I found more info at: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...camera-953237/

Setup without AUX:

Setup with AUX:

Prepare Tablet
    Before you can install the tablet it has to be rooted with Timur’s kernel. This is quite a process, especially when you are not experienced with Android (like me). I followed the instructions which can be found on : http://mehrvarz.github.io/ and/or https://www.reddit.com/r/timurskernel/. Check your tablet-version (wifi-only/Flo or LTE/deb), download the (free) files and follow Timur’s instructions.

Install in dashboard
    First thing to do is to remove all central parts of your dashboard and look, see and feel how the tablet can be fitted.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnqS...fIAPlX&index=4

Because it is a tight fit, the position of the tablet has to be perfect. Not too high (you can’t see the upper part) and not too low (or your bezel covers the touchscreen). I noticed that the connector straight under the bezel (for alarmlights, etc.) is crucial for this. To make some extra space I removed a few millimeters of the upperside of the connector’s clamp.
    Before you can go any further you have to move/delete your standard display.

Move display to roofconsole
    My car has a (simple) GID-display which could be fitted in the roofconsole. At YouTube you will find the right How To (search: Home Made Navigation System):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VfA...fIAPlX&index=5
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5C...0qFHdIs9fIAPlX

Peripherals
    For the permanent powersupply (needed if you choose the “No Battery-mod”) I used an adjustable buck-converter, which I ordered at AliExpress (VBESTLIFE High Voltage Power 200W 15A Converter DC-DC 8-60V 48V TO 1-36V 5V 12V 24V 19V Buck Converter Step-down Power Module).
    This converter, together with a relay, is mounted in a emptied harddiskdrive-unit from an old PC and placed in the glovebox. The relay is connected to the switched 12V-wire from the cigarettelighter and switches the simple powerconverter (12V-5V; necessary for the sleep-function of Timur’s Kernel) and the FM-converter.
    The wire for the permanent powersupply is directly connected to the battery (fused of course). The several earth wires are connected to the steel bar behind the glove box.
    The switched, simple powersupply and the FM-converter are installed behind the central parts inside the dashboard.
    The USB-cable, which is connected to the OTG-cable, ends also in the glovebox.

Installing the tablet
    To mount the tablet itself I used an old box from the displayunit. First I removed about 5 mm from the frontside (look, see, feel and try).
    In the remaining box I put a piece of plywood. On that plywood I mounted 5 little aluminium brackets and covered the inside with rubber (from an old bicycle inner tube). The brackets have some slots, so the tablet can be moved a little. The exact place of the brackets will depend on the place of the usb-port and the jack-port.

Bezel
    This one took a lot of trial and error. First I used thin cardboard and tape to make an example and after that from a thin plate of aluminium and with metalglue and filler I made the final bezel. I hope you can see the process at the pictures.

Last edited by HV1; 13th May 2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Pictures added

??
    Astra H OPC - CDTi Conversion with K&N Panel Filter | Iridium NGK Plugs | Custom Rocker Cover | Various Orange hoses | CD70 / CID upgrade | Interior LEDs | BMW Mini Sport Aerial | Insignia Washers | Courtenay High Flow Plenum | Hekos | MWP S1 Remap

Quote Originally Posted by kopite81 View Post
    ??

It's what happens when a newbie edits a thread that's been approved, goes back for approval

Astra

Quote Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
    It's what happens when a newbie edits a thread that's been approved, goes back for approval
    Have you binned it mate?

I cant see the original post.....
    Astra H OPC - CDTi Conversion with K&N Panel Filter | Iridium NGK Plugs | Custom Rocker Cover | Various Orange hoses | CD70 / CID upgrade | Interior LEDs | BMW Mini Sport Aerial | Insignia Washers | Courtenay High Flow Plenum | Hekos | MWP S1 Remap

Should be visible again, it went dark as the OP edited it again!

OP please don't edit your first post, add anything new with a reply to the thread.

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Awesome how to / mod that

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by moeman View Post
    Should be visible again, it went dark as the OP edited it again!

OP please don't edit your first post, add anything new with a reply to the thread.
    Mea culpa! I shall follow your advise!

That’s impressive!
    Fiesta Mk5 ZS>Fiesta Mk6 ST>Clio 172>Astra 'H' VXR>Fiesta Mk7 ST>Corsa 'D' VXR Nurburgring

Quote Originally Posted by HV1 View Post
    Mea culpa! I shall follow your advise!
    good man

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Impressive work. Nerd heaven lol

Can't see that being something I'd have the patience/knowhow for! Lol
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast