+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 14 of 14
  1. #11
    VXR enough andrewt1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    25th January 2010
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    I'd also check the wastegate hasn't seized.

  2. #12
    VXRed Hal's Avatar
    Join Date
    5th August 2017
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewt1971 View Post
    I'd also check the wastegate hasn't seized.
    Good shout mate, it very well could be. Is it a difficult process to replace it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    VXR enough andrewt1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    25th January 2010
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    If you can get a replacement , I'm not sure you can, you have to grind the actuator arm off, drive out the wastegate and bush fit new parts then weld the actuator arm back on.

  4. #14
    VXRed Hal's Avatar
    Join Date
    5th August 2017
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quick update lads.

    I ended up doing some more research and I came across a video on the Tube; this time some guy in America was talking about GM Boost Control Solenoids (BCS), and how they operate. He mentioned that if you remove it, and blow through the inlet (chrome pipe), air should come out of one of the outlets (usually the one facing up). So I removed my BCS, blew through it and nothing came out. I then wired it up to a 9v battery, and could hear it clicking, but this time air would pass through.

    I took a punt and ordered a brand new genuine BCS from the UK, which arrived within 7 days (eBay rocks); I took it out of it's box and blew through it the same way, and air passed through (which means this theory is correct). Upon installing the new one, I noticed one of the outlet vacuum hoses had a tiny crack where the old spring clip sat. I decided to change both of the outlet vacuum hoses to some silicone ones (4mm inner diameter); these hoses go from turbo to BCS, and actuator to BCS.

    Anyway, long story short, I put everything together, started the Burg up, took it for a smooth 5 minute drive and found a nice open bit of straight tarmac and gave it the beans. I'm focusing on the boost gauge and what a lovely surprise. Boost holding at 13/14 PSI, and overboosting to 15/16 PSI. Problem sorted!

    Ended up being a very cheap fix, but I've learnt a lot about this tiny little piece of plastic and how important it is. I guess it could have been a number of other things, but the process of elimination always helps.

    Cheers to everyone who commented and gave some advice, and I hope this can help someone else that has the same problem!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts