+ Reply to Thread

Default Whining Noise From Somewhere

I'm getting a whining noise from the engine or gearbox on my Corsa Burg. It's a lot more noticeable when the car is cold and when driving at around 30-40mph and doesn't seem to trail off when the engine speed drops and the road speed stays the same, so in other words when I engage the clutch and let the car free wheel the whining stays the same, but dies off when the car slows down. The noise is quite mechanical like maybe the diff, it definitely sounds like something spinning. This makes me think its more gearbox than engine because if it was engine I think the whining would reduce and increase with the revs (like alternator whine through a stereo)

I have only had my car a month it's a 61 plate with 45,000miles and full service history so has been looked after before I bought it.

Is there any known faults or anything I should be aware of regarding this noise? I know about the syncromesh and tested for that before buying the car by raising the clutch to the biting point with the car at a standstill and the handbrake on to watch for any movement in the gear stick and there was no issue.

I'm new to Vauxhall so not completely sure if maybe they all sound like this or there's something wrong with mine.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help.

It's possibly the gearbox bearings which were uprated on the later 'D's (generally on 13 plate, but not all until the 63 plate). The later boxes had modified casings that allowed for greater oil capacity, this was a reason for earlier bearing failures due to lack of cooling etc. Plus the earlier bearings were smaller and generally regarded as c**p.
    It is something that does need to be checked as fixed early it's fairly straightforward to recon the box. Leaving it too long can result in the casing being destroyed. They can have issues at any mileage and at 45k, it's not unheard of. Equally there are early generation boxes on 80k without any issues.
    Whilst they are not cheap to fix, it's not stupid money.
    Did you buy from a dealer or private? If a dealer, I would consider it to be a major fault (assuming it is the box) and they should be fixing it for you. Private, it's unfortunately down to you.
    SAVE THE VXR AND STOP BUYING SUV TOSH!

Just to add though.... I understand that the diffs can be quite noisey. No actual fault, just how they are in general. Some owners of new VXR's have complained several times about it.
    SAVE THE VXR AND STOP BUYING SUV TOSH!

Default Whining Noise From Somewhere

I’d change the ‘box oil first and then go from there. Does make a good difference, and the chances are it’s not been done in its life.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F181244233182

About 2.6-2.8 Litres needed. I put in 2.7L in mine just because.

Thing to note is the Drexler LSD in these do like to make a groaning noise when turning.

Do you have any movement in the Gear Stick when in 2nd and 6th Gears?
    Fiesta Mk5 ZS>Fiesta Mk6 ST>Clio 172>Astra 'H' VXR>Fiesta Mk7 ST>Corsa 'D' VXR Nurburgring

Quote Originally Posted by Minismithy90 View Post
    I’d change the ‘box oil first and then go from there. Does make a good difference, and the chances are it’s not been done in its life.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F181244233182

About 2.6-2.8 Litres needed. I put in 2.7L in mine just because.

Thing to note is the Drexler LSD in these do like to make a groaning noise when turning.

Do you have any movement in the Gear Stick when in 2nd and 6th Gears?
    There is zero play in the gear stick. Dad was a mechanic and he suggested changing the gearbox oil, so I'll get some and do that first and see how it goes.

The noise I'm getting is almost like a supercharger whine.

This is normally the missus in the passenger seat .....
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

VXRed

Hi my astra is now going in due to the same noise whinning etc it's the gearbox bearing as I been told and they now rebuilding the gearbox for me under warranty failure .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread