+ Reply to Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Astra j vxr bank 2 lamda

Looking for a bit of help standard exhaust system car came up engine light so plugged it in bank 2 lamda sensor so got a new one fitted and switched light off fine for two days the boom things back on again the problem that machine says is bank two lamda sensor and car doesn’t lose boost or nothing just annoying was also a Bosch sensor I put in anyone had similliar problems or know where am going wrong

VXRed blooded

Hi,

welcome to the forum.

Haven't heard of problems with these lambda/oxygen sensors.

Would be good to know the Pxxxx fault code if your reader showed one, to help pin down the problem. I presume you replaced the post-cat sensor, the sensor after the first-cat?

Do you know the history of your car, do you think there is any chance it has been modified in the past at all, and put back to standard?

With the J-VXR engine being a 4-cyl inline, as I understand it you should not have a bank 2, only bank 1, with sensor 1 being the pre-cat sensor and sensor 2 being the post-cat sensor.

https://goo.gl/images/5JyayC

If the fault code relates to sensor 2, this likely indicates the catalytic converter is not functioning correctly, or less likely could also be a combustion fault or air leak.

If your code reader or any other diagnostic tool you have access to has data reading capability, and even better the ability to show the sensor outputs graphically, then try reading the sensor 1 and sensor 2 voltages with the engine at idle, directly after fully warming up the engine on a drive.

I have just tried this on mine, and the pre-cat sensor 1 oscillated back and forth between about 0.03 volts and 0.9 volts and back over a few seconds and the post-cat sensor 2 stayed about the same at around 0.7 volts, but slowly decreased over a couple minutes which I think is about how it should be.

If the post-cat sensor 2 voltage oscillates up and down in a similar manner to the pre-cat sensor 1, then the catalytic convertor has likely failed and may need replacement before it would pass a MOT test.
    Last edited by Carbon Flash; 4th June 2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: URL added

VXR newbie

Yeah it was the post cat sensor I changed mate no history that I know of mate the system is standard that I know of mate would have to look into the guy told me he’s chamged the second sensor before

VXRed blooded

Both the original and new second sensor might well be working fine, may well be that the signal from the second sensor has triggered the ecu to turn the fault light on to indicate a problem with the cat.

Need to get the sensor voltages checked, and put the car on a lift to check out the cat inlet/outlet temperatures to see if the cat is working while doing an emissions check at the same time.

VXR newbie

Hi mate got the light switches of lamdas were running they sort of volts which you posted my mate thinks the garage hasn’t reset the lamda and just deleted the fault codes but the code that comes up is p0054

VXRed blooded

Interesting, a P0054 code indicates there is a problem with the electrical heater in post-cat sensor 2.

Since you have replaced the lambda sensor with a new Bosch sensor, imagine there is likely a fault with the heater electrical circuit, you could check out the wiring visually, and check fuses 2 and 8 are ok in the engine compartment fuse box, page 172 at,

https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/d...nuary-2012.pdf

The diagnostic tool Vauxhall dealerships and some independent garages use, and some other advanced tools will likely provide a further two digits to the fault code, ie. P0054 xx and a more specific fault description to help identify the problem. These tools can also check the sensor 2 heater control circuit, the heater command, its test status, and the heater current.
    Last edited by Carbon Flash; 5th June 2018 at 09:41 AM.

VXR newbie

So today I spoke to garage they have confirmed the used a universal Bosch lamda our euro which you splice wires etc do you think this is why the lights still on

VXRed blooded

If they didn't splice the two heater wires correctly to produce a good electrical contact then this would give a P0054 code and put the fault light on, but the fault may well be elsewhere in the heater electrical circuit.

I connected my diagnostic tool before a cold start and recorded the operation of the heater electrical supply circuit and plotted the heater current on a graph for the first couple minutes after starting. Any competent garage will have a tool to do this nowadays, and the equipment to check out the lambda sensor heater resistance, supply and earth etc., 30 minute job.

VXR newbie

I have just order a genuine one from Vauxhall’s to eliminate that first as looks on the sender clip supplied don’t look to good and it cost £25 so a bit cheap.

NGK supply Vauxhall, so they are just as good.

The cheap £25 jobbies are an utter waste of time, they fail within a few months

+ Reply to Thread