+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by vxrmjp View Post
    The only problem with this is that the card issuer is only liable for the amount of the card transaction i.e. if you make a purchase of say £5000 and £100 is on a card, only £100 is covered on your card.
    You have the same legal rights if buying from a dealer anyway. Just make sure that the dealer has actual premises, is well established and has something to lose if it did turn sour.
    Card companies are notorious for twisting the legal definition of defective goods for used items and will usually involve legal action before they will pay up. You can do that against the dealer and cut out the middle man.
    It's the main reason why I never buy from private buyers or small dealers.

As Raiden pointed out section 75 covers you as long as you've paid £100 or more even as a partial payment

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...mer-credit-act

Quote -

However, to claim under Section 75 you don't have to have paid more than £100 or the full amount on your credit card – the card company is liable even if you made only part of the payment (a deposit, say) on your card.
    It's the value of the goods you're buying that is key - not the amount paid on the card.
    For example, if you ordered a new sofa from a furniture store and paid a £60 deposit with your credit card and the balance of £600 by cheque, you would be covered for the whole £660 if the dealer went out of business and you didn't get your sofa.

Astra

Quote Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
    As Raiden pointed out section 75 covers you as long as you've paid £100 or more even as a partial payment

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...mer-credit-act

Quote -

However, to claim under Section 75 you don't have to have paid more than £100 or the full amount on your credit card – the card company is liable even if you made only part of the payment (a deposit, say) on your card.
    It's the value of the goods you're buying that is key - not the amount paid on the card.
    For example, if you ordered a new sofa from a furniture store and paid a £60 deposit with your credit card and the balance of £600 by cheque, you would be covered for the whole £660 if the dealer went out of business and you didn't get your sofa.
    I stand corrected, thanks for pointing it out!
    I did a little research on it and found that Raiden was quite correct. I had been relying upon other areas of legislation relating to liability, but as always with law, much of it purposely overlaps.
    Obviously, non delivery cases as Ian points out are fairly straightforward and unlikely to pose much of an issue in the event of a claim. New cars would be one example.
    Used cars are going to be a little more complex, specifically when it comes to defects. Consumer legislation does allow for minor defects in used goods sold by businesses. The issue is interpretation of minor defects I.e. was it sold as seen or with the defects pointed out, the age and mileage would also play a part with older, high mileage cars being expected to have more wear and tear, so more defects. Even when buying used cars in cash and then experiencing issues, the interpretation of legislation by the courts is likely to be a little like Russian roulette. In the case of the op, the list of defects against the car's value etc would likely render the trader for a sizeable part of the repairs. Basically, the major safety ones.
    SAVE THE VXR AND STOP BUYING SUV TOSH!

VXRed

Thanks for the very helpful replies.

Can’t imagine how long yours took to type kris. Has gave me a good list to work through!Will update from Tuesday after garage appointment.

Stephen

Your welcome mate

VXRed

so first chance for a update post since getting the car back.

dropped the car off at AS autocare in widnes, first impressions very positive, professional looking place and obviously very busy. Andy seemed to know his stuff and seemed a top bloke.

got a call around dinner, valve stem seals all changed, think he said 5 of the 12 had gone(saved the lot to show me and gave a decent explanation of the mechanical functioning and how they had failed).
    rocker cover gasket changed also.

driveshafts were obviously leaking so as instructed he cracked on with these, gave me a call later on to inform me the right hand side driveshaft bearing had gone(also saved my damaged one to show me when i collected) he had a spare knocking around that he keeps in for his time attack van. kindly fitted that, secondhand but well better than the state mine was in. looked around the car for me and gave me some areas to get looked at for the future.
    great service and im now back on the road, getting front discs and pads at a local garage as had to get taxis etc to and from work to get to andy, so will defo return for mods/decent jobs.

shockingly the previous owner had the timing belt done (at 56000miles, currently on 85000) and somehow they managed to put the tensioner on the wrong way round!!! so another job ahead.

so left on my to do list:
    turbo return pipe slight leak
    front discs and pads on tuesday
    rear suspension spring
    new timing belt and water pump(tensioner on wrong way round)
    slightly noisy turbo (reciept for over £1000 fitted at vauxhall for new turbo, it is slightly noisy as coming on boost, like a slight whine, doesn't sound like my previous turbo'd cars, and Andy noticed it)
    flexi pipe on exhaust gone and a crack in pipework, so will upgrade to after market at this point (pre cat decat will be first mod i do)
    debadged at the weekend as an attempt to cheer me up, de-wiper kit on its way. (love this look)

will this ever end, im still ahead financially as the work Andy did was paid for by the seller and paid trade price for it. want to start performance mods, but i understand got to get the car sorted out first

thanks again guys
    any opinions appreciated, im sure with a little love im going to be able to polish a turd

VXRed

i also stopped off at the petrol station because i had read about correct tire pressures since it had been sat on my drive, i put 36 in when i got it. went the petrol station and i believe andy had put the correct pressure in for me, didnt even discuss it with him. 42 front 38 rear

Go fund me page....sorted!
    SAVE THE VXR AND STOP BUYING SUV TOSH!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2