+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intercooler

VXR newbie

Default Intercooler

Hi. I'm new here and recently got a Insignia OPC and wanted to tune it a bit. However, this is my first overcharged car and don't know all that I need to. When it comes to turbo I'm a complete noob. I've been reading a bunch here about tuning of the car and figured I would start by upgrading the intercooler. But the one on Thorneys is expensive as **** and I don't know why I would need specifically that one. Is there a good reason or could I go with this one in stead?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120959768658

Looking at the pics on Thorneys, this alternative intercooler should at least physically fit...

Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks.

VXRed

People go to throneys because it's a "pre-made" kit.

There are a few alternatives, none cheap mind you:
    1. Wagner: http://www.wagner-tuning.com/product...0001091-1.html
    2. KWE: https://www.kwe-racing.de/Opel/Insig...-KWE::902.html

Out of the above options (including Throneys) i prefer the KWE because it's not that big. There is such thing as too big of an intercooler for our cars (given we got a smallish turbo)

Back to topic, the problem is piping, those "pre-made" kits means it's an easy fit.

You can of course get non-premade kits (like the ebay link you posted), that just means you have to work the piping yourself, which could be a pain in the ****, to give you an idea how much of a pain... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpVKeeod9Ig
    Lots of cutting and fabricating

As far as mods go, I've planned mine this way (and separated them into arbitrary "stages")

Stage 1: Decat down pipe (Primary), manifold spacer (heat shield), turbo blanket, tune
    Stage 2: Decat/high flow cat Mid pipe (yes there 2 cats in our cars), 3 inch exhaust, tune
    Stage 3: Intercooler and piping, tune

after stage 3 you're talking swapping turbos and custom turbo manifolds (and Carbon Fiber Drive Sharfts), thats when the big $$$$ starts
    Last edited by fredoops; 15th June 2018 at 02:02 PM.
    ^^Australian^^
    Car 1: 2016 Insignia VXR (Mods: none installed)
    Car 2: 2003 Mk7 Accord 2.4 (Mods: plenty)

VXR newbie

Thank you for the quick reply. In that case I think I'll do it myself. Fabrication is fun. You got any idea about how much to big the intercooler I found on ebay is? Would I lose effect if I chose that? I'm thinking it's unnecessary to buy a smaller one now and a bigger one later when I upgrade the turbo? Or maybe it's to big regardless?

VXRed

Look at the *core size* not the overall dimensions

So a rough guide its 3 litres of volume per 100hp.

So to build a 400hp motor you want:
    3 litre x 4 =12 litres

A 300hp motor you want
    3 litres x 3 = 9 litres.

The factory intercooler is about 7.3 litres in volume (approx 66cm x 38cm x 3 cm)

There's also a surface area calculation but i cant remember it anymore... sorry.

Oh by the way if you are doing a custom, do get a decent branded intercooler rather than the ebay special, DO88, Mishimoto and Forged comes to mind, and they are pretty reasonably cheap for universal intercoolers.
    The Throney intercooler is made by forge im pretty sure.
    Last edited by fredoops; 16th June 2018 at 12:07 PM.
    ^^Australian^^

TMS IC is made by Pace Products

VXRed

I stand corrected.
    ^^Australian^^

+ Reply to Thread