+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    VXRed

Default Rattling/Vibrations?

Hi guys,

So I drove about 100 miles last night up to Nottingham, and then I've done a 15 minute trip today, and all of a sudden I'm noticing a lot of rattling noises from the front end of the car, and whenever I go over any sort of rough road (basically anything that isn't new tarmac) I'm getting a lot of vibration through to the steering wheel. Any thoughts?

Also I noticed this hanging down underneath the front of the car, not sure if it's meant to be there or not...

https://ibb.co/i82Yuy
    https://ibb.co/mgbnMd

Cheers

VXRed

maybe track rod ends, drop links,weight come off a front wheel or maybe a bulge in a front tyre or suspension related ie broken spring.

May bits to be checked over. Drop links followed by anti roll bar bushes are the most common cause. If you lie on your back with the car firmly on the ground, rattle the ARB to check.

That plug lead is for the fog lights. You can cable tie it up securely if you want.
    OPC …IRE
    Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by VeXeR View Post
    May bits to be checked over. Drop links followed by anti roll bar bushes are the most common cause. If you lie on your back with the car firmly on the ground, rattle the ARB to check.

That plug lead is for the fog lights. You can cable tie it up securely if you want.
    Don’t suppose you could point me in the right direction to find those? I’m still quite new to all of this��

With the car on level ground, you'll need to get your arm around the front tyre to locate the anti roll bar. You'll need to leave the tyre on to check it properly.

There will be 2 bars- the track rod and the anti roll bar (ARB).
    The ARB is the one of larger diameter.
    You'll need to grab it firmly and try your best to rattle it. It should be very solid. If not, you'll need to figure out if the rattle is coming from the end- drop links or middle (bushes) or it could even be from both.

Drop links will look like this (but straighter in the middle if you don't have IDS shocks);

OPC …IRE

VXRed

With the car on level ground, you'll need to get your arm around the front tyre to locate the anti roll bar. You'll need to leave the tyre on to check it properly.

There will be 2 bars- the track rod and the anti roll bar (ARB).
    The ARB is the one of larger diameter.
    You'll need to grab it firmly and try your best to rattle it. It should be very solid. If not, you'll need to figure out if the rattle is coming from the end- drop links or middle (bushes) or it could even be from both.

Drop links will look like this (but straighter in the middle if you don't have IDS shocks);

Alright cheers for your help mate, I’ll take a look when I’m back home

VXRed

So I had a play around with the arb on the front and there was a tiny bit of movement when I really tried to move it, didn’t feel like anything out of the normal though.

Then I noticed this, not sure what it is, but when I pressed up on it, it sounds like it replicates the noise I’m hearing:

https://vimeo.com/278837132

I could be wrong though, probably going to just have to hope whatever it is lasts the 100 mile trip home tomorrow... and then I’ll get it booked in at my local garage.

Plastic splash shield is all that is. A tiny bit of movement on the ARB can turn into a very loud clunk when a large portion of the vehicle weight bounces on it with force.
    The fact that you have play back in the steering wheel tends to draw away from the plastic shield being the cause.
    OPC …IRE

VXRed

Plastic splash shield is all that is. A tiny bit of movement on the ARB can turn into a very loud clunk when a large portion of the vehicle weight bounces on it with force.
    The fact that you have play back in the steering wheel tends to draw away from the plastic shield being the cause.
    Alright, I’ll try and get a video tomorrow to make sure I am shaking the right bar, if I remember correctly of the top of my head the last service might have said something about the arb not sure though, I’ll check it all out tomorrow

Did you attempt to shake the bar from both sides (driver's side and passenger side)?
    OPC …IRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast