+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    VXRed

Default Help!..Remap but laggy!

Got my car mapped today by Sean at SM Tuning. Top bloke too service and car fly’s... however.....

He said to me the car is really laggy compared to another car he mapped the same day with the same spec, 100ftlb lower as the torque climbs. He suggested the power is being lost through the Forge Recirc (actuator although standard he said was strong as an ox) we thought someone fitted the standard Green Soring however I took it out and ya the correct yellow spring. The car made 282bhp at 315ftlb. It was 34 degrees in the dyno room which doesn’t help, my concern is the lag, why is this occurring? Where do I start? I’ll post the graph as that will make sense to more power however 100ftlb is a huge difference!!

Spec of car is
    Full miltek 2.5”
    Cross over delete, top hat, direct route etc
    Forge recirc yellow spring
    Walbro fuel pump
    DNA stage 2 cooler (airtec replica)

Stage 3 spec basically.

Anyway here’s the graph
    Last edited by JaamesVXR; 23rd July 2018 at 10:06 PM.

It's not loads down tbf stage 3s normally mate 340-360lb ft tq, the heat won't have helped things
    Stage 2 black VXR gone - rabbid tuned Stage 3 303 sold 9/2014
    Now Revo stage 4+ forged Mk2 Focus RS

I thought it would be closer to 290bhp with those mods. I’m making similar figures to that graph and I’ve only got an exhaust. Plus mine was mapped in the summer few years ago.
    Stage 2 280bhp 330 torques, Remus exhaust, RARB and DAP springs

VXRed

He was saying the car is really laggy. Doesn’t make any power until really late in the Rev range. The figures are normalise just the lag he was worried about. Said my car is 100ftlb down okyorwue through the Rev range compared to all the others.

Peak torque does look late in the rev range, though the graph isn't very clear, but the best time to figure out why would have been on the dyno when you could measure air flow, pressure,temps, throttle and knock under load to start eliminating things. Was a base line dyno test done, was it okay before mapping? I'd be non too pleased been told "it's not right, there you go!"

VXRed

It had a very basic flash map on before hand which I had no idea about, I’ve only owned the car a couple of months but it made around 260. He suggested the car could be loosing boost through the forge recirc and could be that someone put the green spring I’m opposed to yellow (all the mods on car was how I bought it) I took the recirc off one home and car was cooled the spring was the correct yellow colour for the spec. I’ve spoke to a couple of people and they are suggesting turbo is possibly tired. He said the intake temps were around 57 degrees but it was 34 degrees in the dyno room and 33 degrees outside. Doesn’t help things in the slightest.

It’s my first VXR so how the car behaves to me is normal as I know no different, but now I know it isn’t right it’s bugginf me! Once it comes into Boost it pulls like a train, there is the odd puff of smoke on idle and I did notice in the dyno room on Boost and when closing throttle there was some smoke but it did clear for a couple of runs then start again. Al these things are hard to see when the car is moving/your driving

Quote Originally Posted by JaamesVXR View Post
    He was saying the car is really laggy. Doesn’t make any power until really late in the Rev range. The figures are normalise just the lag he was worried about. Said my car is 100ftlb down okyorwue through the Rev range compared to all the others.
    I'm slightly confused... he thinks its laggy compared to another vehicle or in general on your car?

As already stated the graph and the actual image isn't clear but you would expect to have max power (bhp) late on ( hence why some fit mod'd intakes ) with max torque lower down but you certainly wont get 100torqs more !!??

Looking at the graph its a nice steady climb, but can you tell me the rpm when max bhp is obtained and the rpm when max torq is obtained

The heat certainly wont help atm, what fuel was in the car at the time and have you ever replaced your vac box?
    Last edited by R15VXR; 24th July 2018 at 11:45 AM.

VXRed

I’ve comoared a good few graphs and arguements sake my car at 3000rpm makes 160ftlb of torque however at 3000rpm on all the other graphs I’ve been looking at from the similar stage 3 cars at 3000rpm they’re all making around the 265-295ftlb mark. The torque is there but it’s not making peak or any torque until really late in the Rev range.

VXRed

I’ll take another photo of my graph later try and post a higher quality file so ya readable. In easy terms

3000rpm (my car)

BHP - 122
    Ftlb - 160

3000rpm another car

BHP - 165
    Ftlb - 255

3000rpm yet another car

BHP - 165
    Ftlb - 240

As we can see mine makes the power but not until much further in the Rev range which is out of character for the car. It’s simular to driving a Garrett, nothing nothing nothing then all comes on

EDit: the car was run and always is run on V Power and the vac box has been deleted
    Last edited by JaamesVXR; 24th July 2018 at 12:53 PM.

The green spring won't be a problem I ran stage 3 on the standard 1 no problems, the 2.5in miltek won't be helping with peak power, unless it feels really laggy on the road I wouldnt say you have a problem if the 're circ valve was leaking you'd be getting the turkey turbo stall chatter noise
    Stage 2 black VXR gone - rabbid tuned Stage 3 303 sold 9/2014
    Now Revo stage 4+ forged Mk2 Focus RS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast