+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox Rebuild

Default Gearbox Rebuild

My gearbox needs to be rebuilt, having done some reading some people advise the bigger bearing and end case upgrade and others say its a waste of time. Would appreciate some views from anyone who has had there's done? Also any recommendations other than WG or Courts in the South East to get it done?

VXRed blooded

According to the shop that rebuilt mine in the northwest the revised end case is not a permanent fix and they can still fail again

Vauxhall have tried multiple revised end cases so make sure you get the latest version if ya get the revised end case

According to my builder the latest version and regular oil changes at least gives the boxes a fighting chance

Oil starvation of the bearings is what causes the bearings to fail the latest revision of the end case tries to correct this with a drastically improved oil channel design

This improvement feeds a lot more oil to the the bearings in question there by drastically reducing the stress placed on said bearings

The regular oil changes are probably more important than most peopie realise

VX have the gearbox oil down as a non serviceable item which is utterly bs

You wouldn't run your same engine oil for 100k plus miles would you

So why vauxhall expect people to do it with the gearbox oil bafiles me

I change my gearbox oil every 10k miles as per my builders recommendations
    Last edited by Andyb712; 31st July 2018 at 12:03 PM.
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue standard for now but with mtc top hat and crossover delete and ramair filter

Planning to go stage 3/3.5 eventually

That pretty much confirms what I have been looking at mate cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXRed blooded

I can send you a link to some highly recommended oil if you would like?

As the place you use for the rebuild will probably just use some cheapo semi synthetic crap
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue standard for now but with mtc top hat and crossover delete and ramair filter

Use Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75W-80 or Amsoil MTG 75W-90.

The guy who did my gearbox recommended I change the oil 6 months after the rebuild and then every 2 years or 20k

VXRed blooded

Aye thats the oil i was going to recommend the titan sintofluid 2.4 litres is what you need

If you get the revised endcase it doesn't have a level check bolt so you will have measure it before hand
    Last edited by Andyb712; 1st August 2018 at 05:35 PM.

He recommended putting in 3L as well, helps with lubricating the top bearing.

VXRed blooded

Yeah putting in a bit extra can help but 3 litre seems a bit excessive any more than 2.6 will just blow out of the gearbox breather hose

I'd never put any more than 2.4litres in without a gearbox breather

I am going to get it done at courts and have the upgraded end case and bigger bearings. On their website they have said it’s safe to put more in however I have changed it twice in 20k with sintofluid and only put 2.4 in. The gearboxes are just a bad design

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast