+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bearing noise

Default bearing noise

morning all. i recently noticed a bearing ?? noise coming from the drivers side of the engine, in the area of the drive belt. I took it for a once over but my mate couldnt hear anything out of the ordinary. We made the decision to carry on running the car until it got worse. Driving home from work yesterday and I could hear it when driving, got home, bonnet up , and its coming from the belt area. I presumed it might be the alternator but it sounds like it is coming from above the alternator and further back. Looks like it will be in for a check up this weekend !!

I dont touch spanners any more as I need the car for work - in and out of the garage - no messing about. Where is the water pump located ?? as that is a possibility.

Strange thing is I drove to work this morning and couldnt hear it at all.

could also be the auxillary belt tensioner, easy to check by removing the belt and running the engine

There have been a couple of water pumps replaced on the J vxr and also problems with the balancer shaft/water pump chain tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by vocky View Post
    could also be the auxillary belt tensioner, easy to check by removing the belt and running the engine

There have been a couple of water pumps replaced on the J vxr and also problems with the balancer shaft/water pump chain tensioner
    Ta for the info. i will pass it on to my mate when I spoil his weekend !! cheers

Do I take it the over head cam is chain driven ??

yes the cams are also chain driven, so there are two chains inside the engine

called in to have it checked over and he sprayed the drive belt with dry lubricant spry. The noise stopped instantly so no problem at all. The belt is being changed Saturday and all the bearings, alternator, water pump, power steering pump and tensioner will be given the once over. Seems like a nice easy cheap fix !!

+ Reply to Thread