+ Reply to Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Haldex replacement

Hi. I have a Insignia OPC (vrx) 2010. I have haldex troubles with it grinding at low speed turns. My initial plan was to have it repaired but I couldn't find a shop that would do the job. So instead I have bought a factory new one complete with control box, rear end gear ratio and everything.
    One of these: https://www.google.se/search?q=halde...1c6F5ArzXmFEM:
    I got it at a really good price. I guess roughly £1700. Now I'm wondering if there is anything in particular I should think of when I install it. Anyone know about torque settings and stuff like that? Can I just bolt it into place or is there any steps I need to be aware of? I have never tinkered with this stuff before?

Could anyone knowledgeable please give me some tips?

Thanks.
    Last edited by trucktire; 25th August 2018 at 09:43 PM.

Can't help with the installation, but I hope others on here can. The round-up of advice on the Haldex is to keep a service schedule of changing the fluid and filter approx. every 15k miles. The single point of failure is the filter. If it clogs up with debris from the clutch linings, as it does, then this causes failure of the pump and destruction of the clutch packs.

There are many threads on here about the notorious Haldex. One of the big questions is why VX don't have a service schedule? They aren't alone. VAG use the same unit; have the same problems; and don't have a service schedule either. There's even a detailed report on here from a VAG engineer who claims there's not even a part number on VAG's database for the filter.

That's a good deal on the unit. I think the UK Dealer price is about 4 times that. I've had 2 x warranty replacements now. One on my 2010 manual and one on my current 2014 auto; both at about 30,000 miles. On the last replacement; I had asked for the unit to be serviced. "Why do you want that?" the Dealer asked. "Just do it,"I said. When they drained the old fluid, it was like metal soup!

Best of luck with the swap out. You might also want to try VAG forums for installation advice, and I believe there are videos on YouTube showing the likes of Audi Quattro refits and replacements.

This explains a lot.
    If I had kept the car, I would have invested in 15k Haldex Oil Changes - it’s too expensive to be replacing the entire unit every 30k miles!

VXR newbie

I have done the job now. Now I have a service message for rear axle and four-wheel drive! :/
    My hope is that the haldex just needs to be recoded... Fun fun fun...

On the back of doing the replacement I'm guessing you added clean fluid? I'm looking to do a service on mine and wondering how oil I'll need to order?
    Carbon Flash Navi, 20" wheels, half leather interior, parking sensors, Eibach springs, Courtenay Sport high flow panel filter, Pace FMIC, Courtenay Sport front pipe and 200 cell sports cat, Courtenay Sport remap, Tarox discs and HEL hoses all round, Samco coolant hoses, CG Motorsport 666 clutch kit including single mass flywheel.

VXR newbie

Hi did you get to source of the service message for the rear axle?

+ Reply to Thread