+ Reply to Thread
    VXR newbie

Default New to here and need advice on my paintwork please?!

Hi

I’m new to here and need some advice if possible please?

We have an Arden Blue Astra VXR and we have a serious amount of stone chips all over the car. All over the bonet, roof, and both sides of the car. The bumper is the only part chip free! We have been back to the dealer but they don’t want to know, apparently it’s just wear and tear. I’ve since spoken to 2 separate independent bodyshops and they have pointed out that the chips are only on the metal panels and both believe from just looking at the car it must be an issue with the base coat and primer coming into contact with the metal panel. Neither were keen to take my money to repair my car and insisted this is likely to be a Vauxhall issue! The plastic number etc. is still pristine and they’d have expected to see stone chips on that too if it is standard wear and tear.

I’m just wondering if anyone else has come across this before?

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Nicola933; 8th September 2018 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes!

VXRed

Hello,

There was definitely an issue with some of the older ones (i.e. 2012 production) having soft paint from factory and I believe the ardens were particularly bad for it. If you search on here or do a Google search for something like “Astra J VXR paint chips” you should get some of the older posts up for more info/evidence.

So it depends on how old your one is, but I was under the impression they had pretty much sorted them by now as the original owners (presumably you’re not the first owner) should have had the work done already. I brought a 2013 in white and didn’t realise at the time but later noticed it was resprayed almost everywhere which indicates it suffered quite badly with the paint problem (or it had been smashed to pieces lol).

So yes, if that’s what you’re suffering with on an early production car, then technically Vauxhall/Main Dealer should be respraying the affected panel. I would also recommend getting some front mud flaps to save the doors as the door shape welcomes stone chips

VXR newbie

Default Thankyou

Thankyou for the advice! Yes it’s a 62 plate one so sounds like that could be our problem with soft paint.

Thankyou again!

+ Reply to Thread