+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Not the oil question you’d expect

Right so first off I know I’m a muppet for doing this but I topped my oil up and put the can in the boot, evidently I didn’t close the lid on it well enough and now the boot panel is soaked in oil pretty much, anything I put in there gets greasy and oily, what’s the best remedy to get this oil out the boot carpet or am I going to need a new one? It doesn’t smell of anything just greasy to touch🤦🏼*♂️ thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try a highish concentration of all purpose cleaner. Try giving it several sprays and use an upholstery brush. Then blot it with a decent microfiber to dry it.

Apc is a degreaser so in a high enough concentration it should break the oil down.

Failing that a solvent like tar remover will work, but that's a bit more aggressive than I'd suggest going on the carpet fibres.

Had a similar lapse last week when I Brought my new oil home to change. Leaked from the top and id put it down on its side in the passenger footwell. Luckily I have rubber floor mats so it was a breeze.
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

Would washing up liquid also work?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolStory View Post
    Would washing up liquid also work?

Yeah it won't be as potent as a proper apc at high concentration but if it's all you have.

Okay perfect, thanks guys!

Any particular brand you guys would suggest?

There's lots of top brands.

Meguiars detailer all purpose cleaner and bilt hamber surfex hd are my favourites.

VXR newbie

I had this issue with a previous car I had bought opened up the boot took all the doormats out that someone had put in there to find my boot carpet was oily and greasy I tried everything from brake cleaner to fairy liquid and nothing got it out properly even the jet wash wouldn’t budge it even though I didn’t exactly expect it to but in the end I had to get rid of it and replace with new nothing I used for it out brake cleaner worked the best out of them all but it gives you a headache after a while from the smell and it only takes the top layer off and still leaves it soaked and penetrated into the actual fibres

Could try a degreasing hand cleaner or fluid and scrub gently with a soft brush before rinsing thoroughly. I would test a small area first to ensure it doesn't react with anything or leave a strong smell.

In reality replace it. Even a carpet cut off made to fit would be better. Otherwise it will linger and you'll never be satisfied
    Last edited by Euro; 25th September 2018 at 11:00 PM.

If you can remove the fabric panel and if washing up liquid alone doesn't work, submerge it in water and weight it down- the lesser density of the oil means it should try to float up (slowly). Add washing powder. See how she goes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast