+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXRed

Default Astra GTC VXR Steering whine

Hi guys, I'm getting the steering whine problem on my VXR. Vauxhall told me they thought it was because the brakes needed changing but it still makes the noise after new pads and discs (what a shafting)

I know it has been discussed many times on here, and one solution seems to be to change the gearbox oil, I just want to confirm I have the same noise as others on here, as most of the media is no longer available on the older posts..

I found this clip on Youtube that has my noise at 3.55 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs-dEDhnDc&t=235s

Can you guys confirm? Warrenty runs out next month so need to move fast on this if it is something more serious.

VXR newbie

I started getting a steering whine last Xmas and after some invest decided to change the gearbox oil, issue was fixed instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXRed

Was it the same noise at in the video above at 3.55?

change the gearbox oil and refill with 2lts , when drained there is still 300ml left in, that should remove the whine , if using the car as a daily the change every 6 months or more.
    mac.

BUZZ BLUE GTC VXR mid life crisis & loving every minute.

VXR newbie

I have had this whine noise also when steering. Changing the oil has reduced the noise but not fully made it go away.

Quote Originally Posted by andy9841 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm getting the steering whine problem on my VXR. Vauxhall told me they thought it was because the brakes needed changing but it still makes the noise after new pads and discs (what a shafting)

I know it has been discussed many times on here, and one solution seems to be to change the gearbox oil, I just want to confirm I have the same noise as others on here, as most of the media is no longer available on the older posts..

I found this clip on Youtube that has my noise at 3.55 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs-dEDhnDc&t=235s

Can you guys confirm? Warrenty runs out next month so need to move fast on this if it is something more serious.

You may have the beginnings of what I had recently -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieWhxOk9bvU

In the end I sprayed dry lube (Halfords £6 ?) between the power steering pump and pulley - engine cold. After 5 minutes of running the noise stopped altogether. I have done about 1500 miles since and the noise is just about returning, but faint. I will spray it again but when it returns it will be time to change the steering pump.

I had the gearbox noise 3 months after buying the car. Go on a car park and drive slowly with full lock and you will hear a sound like the gearbox is straining. Gearbox oil changed and back to perfect. I now change gearbox oil at each service.

VXRed

Car booked in for gearbox oil change on Wednesday.. fingers crossed

VXRed

Car back from garage... Short drive home.. Still making the noise.. off..

Unless it takes a few miles for the oil to 'bed in'

When I had gbox noise it stopped immediately the oil was changed

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

VXRed

If you had it changed, who changed it? If it was main dealer they probably haven’t done it properly and have probably not refilled with enough oil. Most will refill with 2.2l to make the total amount in the box 2.5l as opposed to 1.8l and also use upgraded oil such as Fuchs Titan Race SRG 75

But it’s also possible the noise is not transmission related as per bottlebill’s comments.

I complained to the main dealer when I brought mine last year as I had (and still have) a whine between 30-40mph. They replaced the gearbox completely, so you could try your luck and report the whining, which can clearly be reproduced, in an attempt to get a new gearbox. As I still have the noise I just live with it as a feature of the car. New clutch, DMF and gearbox (all under warranty) and noise still present so gave up with it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast