+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXRed

Default New j owner With possible clutch prob

Hi guys I just got my self a j vxr after haveing had enough of my h,
    Iíve noticed a couple things that I anger to ask about,
    When I change gear 1st to 2nd the car feels like it judges or shudders like the gear box is jumping?
    This normal? Because if I rev it higher up it shifts better 3k or more I think,
    Also the clutch pedal feels notchy apon lifting your foot just as you get to the fell play portion,
    Again is this normal?
    And finally if I push clutch pedal in and out when in stationary with engine off or on I get a click or clonk from engine bay
    So again is this normal?
    I also get this sound when I change up to 5th from 4th slowly
    If I change gear rapidly thereís no noise
    Many thanks guys!

VXRed

Difficult to say as the boxes are noisy and a bit rubbish anyway. I’d recommend doing the gearbox oil first. Cheap and easy and may improve all the above points.

VXRed

Itís just so wired why would it smoothly shift in hi revs and buck and protest at low revs on a gear change

VXRed

I agree it doesn't sound like it's 100% healthy based on that alone, but these boxes are notorious for having clunky and difficult gear shifts. A lot of people fit a short shift which is supposed to help massively. I had a new gearbox fitted under warranty when I brought the car (used) last year and never felt it needed a short shift, it's quite smooth compared to my old box, but changing the gearbox oil for either GM oil (a how to on the forum describes the process and the GM oil part number) or a race spec oil such as Fuchs Titan Race SRG 75 (which I personally use) has had fantastic results for most people, improving gear changes, reducing the noises and whines from the diff etc. so it's definitely step 1 in the troubleshooting process.

So I would say the gear oil for your gear change is definitely worth a try. As for your other two issues, the clutch feeling notchy as you come up to the "fell play" portion (I assume you are referring to biting point) is a difficult one. All I can say is sometimes I will feel a sort of stickiness, which I suppose you could describe as notches, as the clutch engages. I notice it more when the engine is warm and less while cold, I also notice that engine RPM can play a part as vibration at higher RPM can be felt through the clutch. As these are hydraulic clutches I would guess your pedal just needs lubricating, certainly a good place to start, but this doesn't sound like something to worry about and you'll probably get used to it.

Your other issue with the clunking is again potentially normal depending on the exact circumstances but as it happens with engine off as well, I would guess it's either nothing at all (as in they possibly all do it, will have to try it on mine at some point) or it's play in your DMF.

Technically, all three of your issues do kind of point towards the DMF in a way. The shuddering when changing gear, the clunking when depressing the clutch and the feeling through the clutch could all be as a result of a worn DMF. As the DMF weakens more play develops in it which certainly can cause the clunks etc.

Very difficult to say but I would start with the cheap/easy options and go from there. Some additional info would be good though:

Car age?
    Mileage?
    Remapped?
    Previous repairs?
    Gearbox oil ever changed?

Cheers

VXRed

Cheers for the reply
    Itís 2014 24k standard.
    No repairs from looks of the history.
    Now Iíve had more time to drive it Iíve found
    Clutch clunk is with engine running
    I coaster away from work last night in first and at several points below 2 or 2.5 k rpm I dipped clutch and the whole car seem set to jump and it shudders quite badly line two big bumps
    Rev it higher and itís far smoother, in fact most of the low gears do it unless your reving past 2.5 3k before you change gear.
    I did find on way home that if I only half diped the pedal things were a lot smoother.
    Iíve been looking on line and I do also get the massive wine at end of full lock on steering too.

VXRed

The whine at full lock is 100% related to the gearbox oil and is caused by the LSD. You’ll probably find the gearbox oil has never been changed and the oil is knackered. To resolve that issue an oil change is the fix, and it may fix some of your other issues, especially gear selection.

The clunking and shuddering sounds like the DMF, so if you have a warranty I’d get it back in and get them to sort it.

VXRed

Being a network q car I have full vx warrenty
    Do you rekon they will cover the dmf?

VXRed

Mine was Network Q as well and I had the clutch, DMF and gearbox all do e under warranty for various clubks and whines.

So yes definitely take it back, your difficulty will be getting then to realise it’s actually an issue but be persistent.

VXRed

Cool, fingers crossed 🤞 just spent 14k on this car!!
    I did notice today when I started the car to come to work just as it came off cold start a small noise that happed to go away when I pressed the clutch in.
    And only half dipping the pedal gives me hardly any judder,
    So itís got to be the bearing or dual mass
    Flipping marvellous Only had it since Friday

VXRed

Exactly the same thing happened to me, spend £15k and back in to the dealer for new clutch and DMF, then a separate occasion for new gearblx. But it is lovely now so can’t complain, although I was at the time for obvious reasons!

Hopefully you’ll get it sorted!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast