+ Reply to Thread

Default Picked up Astra VXR Today - Woo Hoo - but I have a quick question...

Hi All,

We've today picked up our Astra VXR after writing off our Alfa 147 GTA. Must say the VXR has more straight line "go" than the Alfa, but haven't run it around a twisty road yet, which I hear it will excel at, yet which the Alfa was also a hoot to drive.

Nonetheless, I'm a complete newbie here, but will have years of involvement with your guys ahead of me.

Out car does not have a guard under the motor, and I've never seen or owned a car without the guard. The guy at the car yard wasn't sure, but if there's *supposed* to be one, it'll be covered by warranty etc.

My question is: is there supposed to be a guard under the motor? Our car has exposed mechanical parts that I'm sure should not be exposed to stones, sticks, debris on the road and general road gunk, including a lot of water if it's wet.

If I can PROVE it should have a guard, I can get it fixed, But I'm not sure how to prove this.

Can anyone help with this?

Sorry to bomb in here, say Hi and ask a question - that's not my usual form.. I promise I'll be helping out around here as soon as I get a handle on the car.

Cheers, Matt from Melbourne, Australia.

there is not an engine tray fitted, just some water deflectors on each side

third photo down - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...ge-gearbox-oil

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by vocky View Post
    there is not an engine tray fitted, just some water deflectors on each side

third photo down - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...ge-gearbox-oil
    I wondered what they were for, thanks.

A lot of cars I have looked under have a guard under the engine, but as Vocky says there is not an engine tray fitted on the J VXR, and I have never owned a car with one, and prefer it that way, as I don't have to take it off before taking a look under the engine, and it won't fall down and drag on the road as I have seen happen a number of times on other cars.

Every time I'm under the car I remove small stones from the front suspension arms, subframe and between the fuel/brake pipes under the floor etc., but the only time a stone has caused a problem on mine in 15,500 miles, is when a small stone got stuck in a ventilation slot in one of the rear brake discs, which produced a knocking sound as the disc expanded with the heat under heavy braking, as the stone began to knock on the caliper.

VXRed

hope u like your new car there are a great car i have had my 14 plate since new and i have only done 7000 miles in it it has always put a smile on my face when out in it when the sun is out but i have decide to get rid as today i went and test drove a new honda civic type r and what a car there are i thought ny astra was quick but compered to the honda the honda is in anothor league but i have still loved driveing the vxr

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by force View Post
    hope u like your new car there are a great car i have had my 14 plate since new and i have only done 7000 miles in it it has always put a smile on my face when out in it when the sun is out but i have decide to get rid as today i went and test drove a new honda civic type r and what a car there are i thought ny astra was quick but compered to the honda the honda is in anothor league but i have still loved driveing the vxr
    So it goes like a space ship too :-)

Thanks so much for the replies, guys. Sorry for tardy response here - I thought I'd set up to recieve emails when replies were made, and I got none. Will check settings again.

Relieved to hear there's no guard on the J's, but still, I'm a bit surprised. There's a lot of things that could knock components, get wrapped around struts etc, and the general road gunk that could accumulate under the motor could be an issue in my mind, but presumably not the engineers' minds.

Anyway, thanks VERY much for the feedback - much appreciated.

Cheers, Matt.

VXRed blooded

The front jacking point sill covers are specially designed to collect all the general road gunk,

https://0.allegroimg.com/s512/03baac...bdbce6e77dd3e0

clean them out regularly to maintain acceleration performance.

never found the engine bay to suffer from no under tray (23,000 miles) worst area i've found is the exhaust outlets on rear diffuser, small stones picked up by the tyres jam in between the exhaust and diffuser. Next would be the front arch liners around the struts , pays to pop them out once a year.
    You'll enjoy the twisty bits , it justs grips (MPSS tyres) and pulls with the diff, you'll give up before it will.
    Enjoy
    mac

BUZZ BLUE GTC VXR mid life crisis & loving every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Flash View Post
    The front jacking point sill covers are specially designed to collect all the general road gunk, clean them out regularly to maintain acceleration performance.
    Ha ha - they collect THAT much??

VXRed blooded

The amount of gunk impressed my tyre fitter when I had a new pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 fitted on the front recently, and it wasn't long ago he replaced the fronts last time after I removed the covers after a puncture . . . but he realised his mistake that he didn't need to remove the covers, and jacked up the back first, so he could get his jack under the lift points at the front.

+ Reply to Thread