+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Rear beam issues

Hi all,

Bit of back story,

Back end of last year beginning of this one in all that crap weather we had I hit a massive bit of compact ice on a roundabout and lost complete control and unfortunately came to a quick stop when my rear near side wheel hit the curb, I was only travelling around 10mph but I came to a stop with a bang. Managed to get the car home fine and after having a look the near side rear wheel was definitely bent or twisted. The car still drove perfectly fine and was liveable for the time being. After a couple of month of occasional driving I developed a hub drone and decided enough was enough and it was time to sort the problem.

So I managed to get hold of a second hand rear beam from a front end crash damaged Vxr for £40 and sent it off to be sand blasted, zinc primed and then powder coated and while I was at it I got a stock pile of new shiny part to do at the same time. (Brake upgrade, rear hubs, rear calipers, brake lines, power flex bushes, front wish bones, discs and pads all round, rarb etc)

So I fully stripped down the car and waited for a decent weekend to fit the parts and on the run up to Trax I started pulling my finger out which is where everything started going wrong.

Me and my mate set about putting the new rear beam on and it seemed tight with the figment (the 3 bolts either side were tight) but we carried on hoping it would settle once on the ground, when it finally came to test driving the car the traction control would kick it going round simple corners and bends at 10-15mph and we couldn’t get the rarb on because it seemed so far over on one side, took the car off to get tyres and tracking done thinking that could be a big traction control issue having bold tyres, but the rear end is out by a lot.

Near side reading -4.70 - far side reading -15.80

I have no feel in the back end and the whole car is so sketchy to drive!!

Now what would people recommend to do next? Could I have bought another knackered beam? Could the chassis be an issue now? Any suggestions or ideas would be great!

Sorry for the essay!

It's gonna depend on a lot. How hard was the shunt, is it hard enough to cause damage to the rest of the chassis. Was the new beam fitted correctly.

I'd be tempted to just get another vxr. They're cheap enough these days.
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

Quote Originally Posted by w20adm View Post
    Was the new beam fitted correctly?
    +1 on this question.
    OPC …IRE
    Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

Ideally you'd want the data from tis to make sure all fitment is correct.
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

Quote Originally Posted by w20adm View Post
    It's gonna depend on a lot. How hard was the shunt, is it hard enough to cause damage to the rest of the chassis. Was the new beam fitted correctly.

I'd be tempted to just get another vxr. They're cheap enough these days.
    Honestly I don’t think it was that hard of a shunt to effect the chassis but with the near side rear wheel being visible with damage and because I’m having a hard time with this new beam it’s jist got me wondering, and as for fitment of the new beam I didn’t really think there was much room for error being a fixed rear end, I’ve loosened off the bolts and tried wiggling it over but it didn’t really seem to do much.
    Last edited by IsOoAvinOne; 9th October 2018 at 07:26 AM.

Also I’ve never had any driving issues, lack of feel or twitchyness when the original beam was on it was just the uneven look of the wheel

VXRed blooded

Sound to me either like a duff beam or chassis unfortunately.

Did you take any sort of measurements with both beams off the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXRed blooded

There is definitely room for movement on the beam

If you look at the triangle brackets each bolt hole is about an inch in diameter and the bolts are about half inch

So there is definitely room for movement in all 4 directions

When I recently restored my rear beam i left one side bolted up so when I put it back together i only had to get front to back alignment right not side to side

I even spray painted round each bracket so I knew where to put it back and when I got mine aligned it was still a touch out

It sounds to me like your axle is slightly off set to one side

If I was you i would be tempted to have it done on a hunter 4 wheel alignment it may just save the car and all the hard work and cash you have put into it

Here is what you need

https://www.edentyres.com/hunter-whe...choose-it.aspx

Just an example of what you need but with a bit of searching you should find one near you be warned though it costs more than normal laser alignment
    Last edited by Andyb712; 9th October 2018 at 10:42 AM.
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue standard for now but with mtc top hat and crossover delete and ramair filter

Planning to go stage 3/3.5 eventually

Quote Originally Posted by CoolStory View Post
    Sound to me either like a duff beam or chassis unfortunately.

Did you take any sort of measurements with both beams off the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately I didnít take any measurements didnít think it would be an issue, think thatíll will be my next step so remove the beam and compare the two and measure them both

VXRed blooded

Also mate are you sure the abs sensors got fully clicked back in on the back of the rear hubs

I would take them off clean with contact cleaner and make sure they are fully clicked in this may be causing your traction control issues does the abs light come on with the traction control light?
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue standard for now but with mtc top hat and crossover delete and ramair filter

Planning to go stage 3/3.5 eventually

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast