+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXR newbie

Default Help with 2.8 motor (saab)

Hello Everyone,

First post

I wondered if you can help me with a Saab 9-5 (2010) which has the same motor as the insignia VXR.

I had the car to the dyno today for a check and found it was quite down on power. Torque was ok 463NM (360ftlb) but HP was trailing at 206KW (276HP)

The car is supposed to be tuned with Hirch, which explains the higher torque, but it means im down about 50hp overall.

I will post the graph after but basically it looked like this

Peak torque @ 3500rpm
    Peak power @ 4500rpm
    AFR was fine until about 4500 at 11.5 but then suddenly drops to 9
    Boost was fairly stable about 1.1bar (not sure what the factory boost is for this car)

Anyway i'm trying to understand what could cause the car to start running so Rich at 4500rpm, i can replace the MAF etc and check, but does anyone have any suggestions.

Im assuming no boost leak as this looked quite stable, so im left with timing chains, O2 sensor..

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks
    Alan

VXRed blooded

Hi

Are the saab expected to run at around 325 hp like opc ?
    Or at 280hp like TurboX insignias ?

Same motor does not mean same turbo or same tune.

Not sure about what Hirch stage 1 map should do also.

If not building full boost it could be the WG Actuator. Running rich is maybe inside the map. to cover any risk of knock...

VXR newbie

Hello

Thanks for the reply,

Its exactly the same motor as the VXR (same turbo, same VVT etc) factory runs at 221kw (301hp) and the tune from hirsch is essentially the VXR map on top.
    Its producing expected boost, but dumping in more fuel, as you said to cover the risk of knock. Im just trying to figure out where to start looking.

Would it make sense to start with replacement MAF?

VXRed

What fuel is the car using?
    What fuel was it mapped for? Even the standard car is recommended to use at least 98 octane.
    Last edited by El1te; 9th October 2018 at 08:39 PM.
    Insignia Elite 2.8T (2012), Viva SE-AC (2017).

I’d look at the fuel your using too.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXR newbie

Thanks Guys, Everyone keeps telling me this to, but i have strictly only used 98octane since i bought the car, no 95 has ever crossed its path.

VXRed

A lot of 4wd cars *appear* to give lower hp and torque when on the dyno than they do on the road.

VXR newbie

Quote Originally Posted by El1te View Post
    A lot of 4wd cars *appear* to give lower hp and torque when on the dyno than they do on the road.
    We tried to snyhcro locked and without to see if that would help but made no difference,

Here is the graph from yeserday, you can see the clear difference in AFR which co-incides with boost going over 1 bar to 1.1.

Have ordered a spare Maf today just to try, also a new PVC hose as its broken, and purge Solenoid as i think its knackered to. Plus a sports panel filter (just cause it might help :d)
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    Hello Everyone,

First post

I wondered if you can help me with a Saab 9-5 (2010) which has the same motor as the insignia VXR.

I had the car to the dyno today for a check and found it was quite down on power. Torque was ok 463NM (360ftlb) but HP was trailing at 206KW (276HP)

The car is supposed to be tuned with Hirch, which explains the higher torque, but it means im down about 50hp overall.

I will post the graph after but basically it looked like this

Peak torque @ 3500rpm
    Peak power @ 4500rpm
    AFR was fine until about 4500 at 11.5 but then suddenly drops to 9
    Boost was fairly stable about 1.1bar (not sure what the factory boost is for this car)

Anyway i'm trying to understand what could cause the car to start running so Rich at 4500rpm, i can replace the MAF etc and check, but does anyone have any suggestions.

Im assuming no boost leak as this looked quite stable, so im left with timing chains, O2 sensor..

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks
    Alan
    Question, now is it the same lump as vectra vxr which runs 280hp(earlier 255hp)oem, stage 1 300hp or same as insignia vxr oem 320hp, stage 1 340hp ???
    As they may be same lump but different injectors and turbo.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1796 View Post
    Question, now is it the same lump as vectra vxr which runs 280hp(earlier 255hp)oem, stage 1 300hp or same as insignia vxr oem 320hp, stage 1 340hp ???
    As they may be same lump but different injectors and turbo.
    I wondered that when the OP said 300hp as standard.
    I've only ever seen older 2.8 engines with 250-280hp, same as Vectra VXRs of similar age.
    I thought the Insignia VXR has a different head/valves, injectors and turbo compared to earlier versions of the engine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast