+ Reply to Thread

Default Howdy, New J Owner - Q about Tyre Repair Kit (bits missing?)

Hi All,

I'm about 4 days into ownership of a really nice Aug 2015 Astra PJ VXR. Already thinking Aero Kit and Bluefin, but I digress..

I bought the car from a dealer, who will look after me if something's missing here, but I'm not sure what I'm *supposed* to have supplied with the car.

Regarding the wheel/tyre/locknuts/spares situation:
    • I have the repair kit, so no wheel supplied (I assume), although I've seen cars with a skinny little spare. Should I have one?

• I have four locknuts already on the wheels, but nowhere in the car is the key! I assume I'll have to ask him if he has the actual correct key, or request a full replacement set of 4 bolts + new matching key. If he doesn't have the key, is there any way I can remove the locknuts, even if I damage them?

• I don't have what the booklet says is the "supplied spanner" for the (non-existent) locknut key. Do you guys have a spanner that goes with the key?

• I don't have a jack of any kind. Should I have?

I *do* have the leak-sealer and compressor, and the towing accessory in the boot under the carpet, but that's all.

Once I can be sure what I'm supposed to have, I can make a claim against the dealer. Any help appreciated!

Cheers, Matt.

UPDATE:

Found the Locknut Key - I THINK:

Here's the locknuts fitted. Black hex head with a circular flange under it.

But here's the key I found - doesn't look like it's the correct key (?). Cannot for the life of me figure out how this key opens THAT locknut. Is this all correct? Never seen anything like this combination.

The locknut above looks like it could be opened with any appropriately sized socket, just like the other bolts - what am I missing here? Sorry all for the endless questions...

Are you VXR enough? Nurburgring 223's Avatar

Take the black cover off the locknut and it will fit mate
    Astra VXR GTC, Summit White, Aero Pack, Performance Seat Pack, AFL's, Sat Nav, Climate Control, Tints! SOLD

Hi. Car usually comes with pump and sealing kit. I bought spanner and jack myself. Find lock nut and if missing take car back. If you have a puncture you won't be able to get wheel off. Make seller sort it out. Enjoy!

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

VXRed blooded

Early J VXR's did not come with locking wheel nuts, but my late 2014 car came with locking nuts from the factory, but I found they easily sheared off due to the softness of the metal and the inability of the key to fully insert.

From what I can see, the locking nuts in your photos do not look like the original nuts supplied by Opel /Vauxhall.

I replaced my original Opel/Vauxhall locking nuts with some more robust aftermarket replacement nuts.

When new, the J VXR came with a tyre sealant kit and compressor, but no spare wheel, or jack and even if you had the Opel/Vauxhall spanner, you might struggle to get the nuts off if they are unlubricated and tightened to 140 Nm as Vauxhall advise.

A spare wheel and tyre, or complete kit with jack and a spanner are available,

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...=1#post3829808

you might find a extending socket wrench useful.

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...nths-from-new&
    Last edited by Carbon Flash; 9th October 2018 at 07:35 PM.

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by ToeCutter View Post
    UPDATE:

Found the Locknut Key - I THINK:

Here's the locknuts fitted. Black hex head with a circular flange under it.

But here's the key I found - doesn't look like it's the correct key (?). Cannot for the life of me figure out how this key opens THAT locknut. Is this all correct? Never seen anything like this combination.

The locknut above looks like it could be opened with any appropriately sized socket, just like the other bolts - what am I missing here? Sorry all for the endless questions...

Maybe this is what the are,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-...4383.l4275.c10

have not seen these covers before, looks like they may be new, swipe main photo for photo of back of cover, Vauxhall listing at,

https://www.vauxhall-accessories.com...ing-wheel-nuts

just put 13331034 in Google image search for any number of images, 'Made in Italy' allegedly.

Question to Aston Vauxhall, you write 'GENUINE VAUXHALL / OPEL ASTRA J LOCKING WHEEL NUT COVER AVAILABLE AT LAST!', I know I live out in the sticks, but I'm in shock that I have never noticed these before, when might these have been made available?
    Last edited by Carbon Flash; 10th October 2018 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks all!

Yes, Carbon Flash, that set you linked to certainly looks like what I've got. As mentioned above by Nurburgring 223, if you simply pop the black covers off, they're pretty normal looking open-ended acorn nuts.

I've heard the locknut/key combination does not hold/connect very well, so I may look into replacing the locknuts, and I've also read that the factory non-locking nuts are a bit dodgy as well, so maybe a whole set of new black nuts is somewhere in my future.

Regarding a Jack and the supposedly-supplied mystery "Spanner" that nobody seems to have received, neither are to be seen, but I've got an old long 450mm breaker bar that I can whack a 19mm socket onto that will do the trick, and also got some old scissor jacks lying around somewhere, so I won't bother the dealer about these.

I'm quite concerned about the lack of a spare wheel, and the fact that even if I wanted to add the sealant, I'd ruin a tyre that costs $450 AUD over here, so I'll need a used crappy 18 or 19" wheel from somewhere (with correct 5x115 PCD) and if I have to, it will sit on top of the carpet in the boot, with the jack and other bits under the carpet. Certainly not an ideal situation, but the lack of a spare wheel is something that I've gotta amend.

THANKS
    again to all of you for helping out. Within a week I've had two sets of questions for the folks here, and you've been very helpful (and reassuring). I'll get my feet under the desk with this car, and be paying it back before too long, I trust.

Cheers, Matt.

VXRed

The black things are caps which just pull off the wheel bolts.

The compressor and tyre sealer are what you get. You don’t get a jack as the assumption nowadays is that your sealing kit will reinflate a flat tyre removing the need for a jack and spare wheel.

I haven’t checked but I probably have a towing eye as well. Not sure about the spanner but again you’re technically not supposed to need one at the roadside as you have the sealing kit, so would suggest that they don’t provide a spanner.

Sounds like you have everything you should have tbh but I’ll check my kit later and update if anything is different.

More importantly, get your missing spoiler and side skirts fitted lol! And get it remapped properly by a reputable tuner, not a Bluefin map!

V*X*R: Hearing you about the Bluefins - they're not especially recommended in tuning circles, although I *do* like the "restore to factory" aspect of it. There's some great auto tuners around my area, so I'm spoiled for choice.

Aero kit is a no brainer - consider it done!

VXRacing ahead

Those space savers have gone up in price a bit, i was quoted £95 inc vat. Must be the brexit/psa takeover. That's going to cost you in Oz if its gone up that much here.
    Last edited by Mrs S Cat; 11th October 2018 at 03:39 AM.

+ Reply to Thread