+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXRed

Default The Phantom Flasher.

.... TURN INDICATORS, that is!
    Here's a little question for you VXR8/LS3 owners.
    As soon as the cold weather comes along, the right-hand indicator on my 2009 LS3 speeds up to flash about 3 times the normal rate. The left-hand one is fine, and it's not a problem in summer. the problem goes away when the interior warms up.
    Does the VXR 8 have a plug in flasher unit that I could replace, or is it something that goes through the Engine management thingo?

Have you a bulb out on the right hand side or a dodgy connection.....Indicators will flash faster if 1 bulb not working.

As above. Hop out and look for the indicator that isn't flashing. Loose connection as the metal contracts with the cold and expands with warmth.

VXRed

It never struck me to look for a dud bulb, what with it just happening in cold weather.
    Leave it with me - I'll have a walk-round tomorrow and report back! In the meantime, many thanks for the suggestion.

You'll probably find some of your LEDs are out in the right hand rear indicator. If this is the case you have a couple of options:
    Remove the unit, open it up and re-solder the LEDs, reseal and reinstall.
    New unit...currently selling for lots of money.

If all LEDs are still lit, let us know and we'll have other solutions

This is an old issue - most cars did it from new.

Picador used to supply an extra section of loom as a “warranty fix” for free - approx 15cm long - that you fit in between the light units and the existing loom plugs. Takes less than 5mins per side to fit. Must be an impedance /resistance issue at temperatures Holden never expected their commodores to experience.

If you look and find what I am describing is already there (most cars should have been sorted) then the unit itself (dead LEDs) like others have mentioned is likely.
    Last edited by mik_ok; 15th October 2018 at 05:19 PM.
    2017 Jaguar F-Pace 3.0d S for her
    2014 Lotus Evora S (SportsRacer) for him

VXRed

Hi All
    Update on the problem, did a walk round and test this morning.
    1. Checked Right-hand side clusters front and rear, all working OK. Front (single bulb) lighting, side repeater OK, rear LED cluster got 15 (I think, can't see any dead) individual LEDs lighting.
    2. Left-hand side again all lit, front, repeater, rear LED cluster no dead ones.
    3. Flash frequency is @6.2 seconds for 10 flashes on RHS, 6.2 seconds on LHS. Falls to @6.0 seconds when Hazards engaged. Weather still pretty mild in Manchester at the moment, so as expected.

Hadn't read mik_ok's remarks about a wiring kludge until late today, so haven't had chance to check that out yet, but can do Tuesday and let you all know if this has been done. I'm not familiar with Picador, will have to check out where these are and if still in business.
    Thanks again all for your persistence.

I tried calling Picador a few years back (they're a Vauxhall dealership in Southampton who are familiar with VXR8s) and was told that I would have to contact a guy at Holden in Australia.
    If you have no LEDs out, then the wiring patch is the next step. I'll try and take a photo later today so you can see what you're looking for. If that is present then i'd swap the control modules (little black boxes in front of the tail light unit) over, and if the flash follows to the other side then you need a new control module, they're about £100 delivered from Walkinshaws. If the fast flash stays on the same side you need a new light unit which if i remember correctly they are about £500 from Walkinshaws.

VXRed

Default Update on the VXR8 cold weather flash rate problem as at 16 oct 2018.

Hi MontyPythonX

I took the battery cover in the boot off for a quick look, but don't really know what the wiring fix looks like. A photo would be great.
    As soon as I can figure out how to upload a pic I'll send one showing what the current wiring looks like.

VXRed

Can have a look here http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...il-lights-LEDS.

Mine does it on the left hand side every now and then, I ignore it now as they are all still flashing. Bigger problem for me is going over a pot hole and the hazard lights come on.

Last time I saw a pair of picador wiring mods on ebay someone was asking £150.00 for them., not sure if they got that much but I would not pay that much for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast