+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brake Problem

Are you VXR enough?

Default Brake Problem

Ok, this one has me puzzled. Over the weekend I was out visiting and had to park on a fairly steep incline. I did my usual, handbrake and stick it in gear to park up. Upon return to the car I took it out of gear to allow me to start it and it started to slowly move backwards, I put my foot on the brake pedal and it sunk in but returned to it's full position only when I started the car up, all happened so quick and managed to stop the car without causing any damage. Any help appreciated

Few things come to mind did she have the hand brake fix, and rear pads how worn are they or vacuum leak on master cylinder.

Are you VXR enough?

Hand brake fix - tick, Newish rear pads and discs. Cannot rule out vacuum leak. But having a search on the various vectra forums a lot of people have said that the pedal dropping etc is normal but it's the fact that the handbrake seems to have lost grip is the problem. I think I'm gonna give the cable etc a good going over at the weekend as the brakes are otherwise okay when driving, stopping etc?

I had pretty much the same problem with the handbrake on my Veccy, even pulling it up as far as it would go it would still slip on a steep hill, I replaced the cable thinking it had stretched, but it turned out to be one of the handbrake cylinders on the offside rear wheel had seized and I was told it was a common problem with the Veccy, once replaced the handbrake was solid again.

Don't forget the handbrake is nothing to do with the main disk brakes and is a completely separate mechanism.

Are you VXR enough?

Hmm, gonna have to have a look into this as didn't realise the hand brake had its own cylinders, thought it used the brake cylinders?

It doesn’t have a different cylinder, it’s moving parts for handbrake lever on calliper rust as do the cylinders.

Are you VXR enough?

Yeah, I thought the response above was a bit puzzling. I know there is no visible rust as I keep on top of things like that. Possibly the cylinder but will try and have a look over the weekend. Got two calipers delivered today so if need be i will fit them but will have to give them a prime and a coat of blue caliper paint so they match. Got a handbrake cable that I've been meaning to fit but other things have cropped up, at least if I get it fitted at some stage then everything to do with the handbrake will be new as such

I’d just paint and put on I’ve got some metallic paint to put on when I get round to it !!!

+ Reply to Thread