+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help/advice

VXR newbie

Default Help/advice

I recently bought an insignia 2.8t v6 4x4 elite ( ex police car) similar to vxr. I've had a few faults that that I have researched and could be down to stretched timing chain even tho it was registered march 2011. I've had faults p0008/p0017 fault codes. Engine is not noisy. But yesterday after putting under load it lost all power started missing cut out and wouldn't restart. Would turn over but not fire. AA attended cleared faults p0300/p0301/p0303 car started and run like a dream any ideas? I'm a bit concerned as wife uses it with the new born neice. Thanks matt

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

VXR enough

from what ive read the timing chains are about the only real issue with this engine and just because its not in the range of effected units doesn't mean your chain isn't stretched pal , my car had its chain done before I got it and the previous owner said the garage showed him how little the stretch is and it was tiny but it makes all the difference to the sensors that pick up the timing

VXR newbie

Thanks for reply. Am I right in thinking it would pick up on a stretched chain and throw up codes every time I start the vehicle if that was the case? What's thrown me is after the codes where cleared by the AA it's run like a train. If it is the chain am I only to use genuine timing chain or is gates a good alternative? Thanks again. Btw the wife hàs an Astra vxr nurb hence why I joined the forum.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

VXR enough

well yeah it should really pal , if it running ok now then why worry ? a proper vxr family then

Nope... you can’t rely on the codes coming up every time you start. The engine is at the limit of the code right now, so it will come up intermittently to begin with. If you wait until it comes up constantly, it might be too late.

Mine threw the exact same codes. It ran with no issues, it didn’t even go into limp mode. It was only after they were replaced that I could feel the difference. I took it straight back to the dealer, they ran a service clean, changed the oil, resat the ECU and everything was fine. Two weeks later, it popped up again. They pulled out the engine, replaced the chains, sprockets and tensioners, but should be possible to just replace the chains with the engine in situ. User Nick150 on here has helped out many users with replacing the chains at a very reasonable cost.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXR enough

voice of experience eh pal , cant argue with that , the OP best get the chain done asap then ,better than risking it

Go speak sir nick150 for chains no point going anywhere else!!!

VXRed

Get the chain done mate otherwise could be costly £££££

+ Reply to Thread