+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sick Nurburgring

Hi guys

Been a while since Iíve been on here Iím sure theirs plenty of the old guys still hanging about...the Astra is over 10 years old now and Iíve had my first major problem it seems

The car is making a funny tapping noise when ticking over, Ive had a guy look at the car and he has changed the rocker cover and seals as this was leaking oil if I mind right this was common on the Astra, now heís also changed the coil pack as he thought that could be the problem... gave it a full service...

Car ran ok for half a day then started the same tapping noise, heís not sure what the actual problem is but has recommended a compression test...Iím hoping someone has experienced the same problem and can point me in the right direction, thanks in advance Mark

https://streamable.com/zpwre

Took this from another thread sounds very like my problem only there was no answer to the problem!!’

VXRed

Does the tapping speed up if you rev the engine or just stay the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll check that out later I can’t mind if it does or not, it will clear for a while sometimes if I restart the car...then it runs a bit funny sounds like a tractor and I get the engine management light comes

VXRed

Was just a thought...as if it does Iíd of said your tappits were knackered or on the way out. I presume youíve not run it low on oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tin545 View Post
    I’ll check that out later I can’t mind if it does or not, it will clear for a while sometimes if I restart the car...then it runs a bit funny sounds like a tractor and I get the engine management light comes
    Did you do a pedal test to see what the fault codes are?

Bump

Very intermittent it seems, will drive fine for 5/10 mins then the noise starts again..no fault codes showing and nothing showing up on diagnostics, the guys have suggested a compression test but I was hoping someone would have come across this fault in the past...I’ve found a couple of vids on YouTube that sound exactly the same but they don’t give the fix!!! One guy said it was sheared bolts on the manifold I don’t know

So I’m beginning to think it may be the hydraulic lifters

Can it do any harm doing an engine flush using wynns fluid, I’ve read a few posts suggesting this but I’d rather check and make sure it won’t do any lasting damage or cause a bigger problem

Cracked manifold ?
    Loose spark plugs?
    Arden Astra with black bits

Engine Originally built by wg motorworks blew up after 34 mile so Muni Singh had to sort out his mess 👍🏻

Latest

They have checked out the tappets etc and all is ok, manifold looks ok too

What else could it be

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast