+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by V6spike View Post
    I think running the car up to temp whilst idling with cap off dispels any air? Switch off and check level and top up as needed.

I think temp should run at 82-90°c? Fans kick in at 92°

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am going to do that this weekend with it facing downhill, thinking that that will make the expansion bottle the high point for getting the air out, same principal as the central heating, bleeding the air out of the highest point.. Fingers crossed..

So I got round to trying to get this issue sorted today, by leaving it idling for about 10mins with the expansion bottle cap off at which point the temp needle was reading just over 80 so I sat in and lightly revved the engine at a fast idle for a couple of minutes which soon got the temp upto 90, and it was at this point the expansion bottle rapidly filled up and overflowed, but not continuously, so I got out just to overlook what was going on and this then returned to idle to normal, and the water level had subsided to the normal fill level, the coolant fan had kicked at this point as it should as the gauge was reading just over 90 now, so I did the fast idle just one more time and the expansion bottle appeared to do another fill and burp. I let it cool down after this and have put about 750ml of coolant in to get it just above the cold mark and have just been to see a pal and got caught in the football traffic leaving Man City tonight and it got upto temp a couple of times on the way back, ie the fan kicked in, and I have just checked the outside of the bottle and it is completely clean and dry with no pink antifreeze staining on it, so hopefully it appears to have cleared itself, by belching the coolant out with the cap off must of been the trapped wind working its way out.. Got to love a free mend!!

VXRed blooded

Nice one, stupid cars lol
    Vectra VXR estate 07

Cheap fixes- always my favourite.

GF finally let me look at her VW Golf MK5 this weekend. Engine check light on for the last 2 years, long before I knew her.
    3 different mechanics plugged in and found no fault code.

There's a lot to be said for rational reasoning;

Some mechanic down the line installed plugs for the previous generation of 1.4 engine.

VXRed blooded

Epic! So the garage didn’t question why the plugs they were putting in were totally different to the ones coming out 0o
    Vectra VXR estate 07

Working blind.
    At least the reach was too short and not too long
    OPC ÉIRE
    Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2