+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Expansion bottle / coolant issues..

I have had an issue, for to be honest about the last 12months, whereby if I accelerated anything above 3.5k the low coolant light would come on, if I continued driving for another 30mins or so it would go out, once the car had cooled down and I opened up the Expansion bottle it either not need topping up at all or would literally take 100ml to bring up to the cold level marker inside the bottle. So putting this down to a faulty level sensor in the bottle I just lived with it like this for a while shall we say, anyway I bit the bullet and bought a new genuine GM expansion bottle from Neo Bros, complete with hoses and clips and fitted this, and this seemed to sort the problem, I can accelerate through the gears no problem with no warning light coming on, however it is still spitting out coolant when it gets hot in traffic, I have given it a couple of weeks to settle itself down to find its level as I may well of overfilled it when I fitted the new one, but now it needs topping up again. Last weekend I did a 500mile round trip up to the north east and it didn't use a drop as it was all motorway and A1, but it just seems that when I sit in traffic its getting hot and spitting it all out. The cooling fan is working fine and the car is running like a dream otherwise, I drove to Malaga and back over the summer, just short of 4000mile and it did it like it was a trip to Asda, and again I barely had to top it up. I'm thinking of trying the thermostat next, if anyone has any ideas then I'd appreciate it, sorry to waffle on, its just a bit annoying and I'd like to get it sorted.

Take it cap was changed with tank ?
    Unless fan is coming late try the thermostat nothing to loose.

Access coolant temp through the secret menu to see if any anomalies present themselves. As above, the thermostat valve may be sticking slightly.

Assuming no leaks are otherwise present, there may be a case of a trapped air bubble in the system. Once you stop up in traffic or accelerate, the increased heat will cause the air to expand and displace the coolant causing it to overflow. Ensure the coolant system is properly burped would be a nice cheap easy check.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1796 View Post
    Take it cap was changed with tank ?
    Unless fan is coming late try the thermostat nothing to loose.
    yeah, did change the cap for a gen new one at the same time.

I did wonder if it had a bit of "trapped wind" somewhere, will try this weekend to see if I can burp it free.... Thanks

I think running the car up to temp whilst idling with cap off dispels any air? Switch off and check level and top up as needed.

I think temp should run at 82-90°c? Fans kick in at 92°

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '55' Sapphire Black VXR Estate. Eibach Prosport all round, remapped by Rabbid. DO88 intake kit.

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by V6spike View Post
    I think running the car up to temp whilst idling with cap off dispels any air? Switch off and check level and top up as needed.

I think temp should run at 82-90°c? Fans kick in at 92°

I think standard cars its 100, well thats what the fan temp says in the map. Ours is 90, i hope lol
    Vectra VXR estate 07

Your probably right. Getting my figures mixed up.

'55' Sapphire Black VXR Estate. Eibach Prosport all round, remapped by Rabbid. DO88 intake kit.

VXR newbie

I had a similar issue about an year ago that was a real bugger 》loosing coolant in all sorts of situations except when the car was at the mechanic

Turns out the bottle, the cap and thr hoses were all okay, but the cooling system running to the engine has a few hydraulic screws that have a bit of a "valve function" (veterans please correct my non-expert terminology). Apparently those screws were altered by the engine temperatures during the years and were leaking.

£10 to change both of them and problem sorted!

Just wanted to put this on the table for you as well in case you're still scouting for possible causes.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OliVXR View Post
    I had a similar issue about an year ago that was a real bugger 》loosing coolant in all sorts of situations except when the car was at the mechanic

Turns out the bottle, the cap and thr hoses were all okay, but the cooling system running to the engine has a few hydraulic screws that have a bit of a "valve function" (veterans please correct my non-expert terminology). Apparently those screws were altered by the engine temperatures during the years and were leaking.

£10 to change both of them and problem sorted!

Just wanted to put this on the table for you as well in case you're still scouting for possible causes.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    great to know mate, where exactly are these located and part numbers if possible to keep everyone on the same page for fault finding.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast