+ Reply to Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Radiator steaming - but no loss of coolant

Hi folks

VXR ownership is not really what I hoped it would be!

I've had my Corsa Nurburgring exactly 4 weeks, and I'm having issues already.

The other day, whilst stuck on the motorway, steam started rising up from the front of the radiator. Slightly panicked, I managed to get over to hard shoulder, cool down and check the temp in the hidden menus.

Temp said 98 degrees Celsius - not especially hot. The fan certainly hadn't kicked in, but there was a lot of steam coming from the front of the radiator. However, there has been no loss of coolant from the reservoir.

Today, I swapped out the ballast resistor on the radiator, to see if that solved the fan issue. Got to about 100, and still no fan, but plenty of steam as I let it idle.

The engine is only 1500miles old - so I don't want to see this one pop. Anyone got any ideas as to what's going on? I did wonder whether the rad was corroded or if there was a blockage in the coolant system, meaning the coolant was staying in the reservoir, and not circulating around the system. Or perhaps there is oil and coolant still on the radiator from when the last engine expired?

Any feedback or previous experience of this happening elsewhere, and possible fixes would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS - I have a Network Q Warranty - but I cannot afford to wait for two weeks for the to take the car in, and then for them to have the car for three weeks to solve what might be a simple fault.
    Last edited by Stickler; 1st December 2018 at 05:03 PM.

If you have a network q warranty, you need to take the car back to the dealer. Regardless of the warranty terms, you have legal rights to ensure the car is free of major issues. The problems you describe would likely be interpreted as major, but after 4 weeks, you need to act very fast indeed!
    By trying to fix the car yourself you will likely invalidate the warranty entirely, so my advice is don't. You got the warranty for a reason, so use it.
    My advice is to contact the selling dealer, arrange to take the car in, demand a fully insured loan car that is free of charge. If they don't have one, hire one and send them the invoice for it, but tell them of your intentions beforehand. They may want to sort it out another way.
    Regarding the fault, air lock, thermostat and issues with the power supply to the fan or the fan itself spring to mind.

VXR newbie

I've called Network Q - they want £51 simply to look over the car at my local garage to diagnose what's wrong. They will then tell me me whether the repair is covered under warranty. This is why warranty's do my head in. So I'm now chasing Brandish Vauxhall, Coventry, seeing as they sold me the car, to see what they have to say for themselves. Beginning to regret this purchase.

Your legal rights will be against the selling dealer, more so than the warranty company, as it's the dealer who sold you the warranty.
    I've never paid for diagnostic work in my life, nor would I. As this issue started early on in your ownership, the dealer does have some responsibility to ensure the car is fit for purpose. If you cannot drive it without overheating, then it's not reasonably fit for purpose.
    The most common mistake made when people are being fobbed off by businesses is not standing their ground and the communication being with junior staff.
    You need to follow up everything in writing, email is fine, stick to the fundamental points and don't go off at tangents. You need to be communicating with the MD, not those lower down as they won't have authority to resolve the issues. Stay perfectly polite, but very firm and don't budge from your stance as it shows weakness.
    The county court is a very effective threat, it's highly unlikely to actually get to that as the cost to a company in defending a claim is substantial and cannot be claimed by them even if they win the case.
    If you on me with some details I can send you a template email which may help.

VXR newbie

Thanks for the heads up VXRMJP.
    I'm calling the dealership that sold the car again this morning. They open at 10am. I'll see what they have to say.
    I always follow up phone calls with emails detailing what was said.

+ Reply to Thread