+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Are you VXR enough?

Spotted this on Vec C...

To test the vacuum - pump the brake pedal until it's rock solid with the engine switched off, and then while you maintain pressure, start the engine and the pedal should sink away. This will show that the vacuum is getting to the servo.

Does this apply to the brake vacuum pump

It’ll show vacuum is getting to servo,which it is as it works most off the time, not that you have a leak !!!

Are you VXR enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1796 View Post
    It’ll show vacuum is getting to servo,which it is as it works most off the time, not that you have a leak !!!
    I'm not too worried if I have a leak as that can be fixed without major trouble, what I'm more worried about is that the vacuum pump isn't working. I followed the advice on the previous post and heard nothing, so does this mean my pump is faulty or that the fact that I didn't hear anything means it's working?
    Last edited by sinbrad; 8th December 2018 at 08:27 PM.

Are you VXR enough?

It should still return the pedal I believe just at ignition when everything is getting electric passed through. If that pedal is rock hard or you have a leak the vac pump would be running constantly like it did for me until it builds the vacuum. If you have nothing making a sound when pumping that pedal hard then maybe the pump / fuse has packed in.

One thing to check is that valve on the pic you posted, the one with the brown plug. I believe that's a vacuum sensor. With mine unplugged the vacuum pump doesnt kick in.

Disconnect that plug and just make sure all the contacts are clean then reconnect it / give it a bit of a tap aswell, can't hurt.

These are just ideas from my experience with the car. Without seeing yours it's hard to tell.
    Last edited by mikez1; 8th December 2018 at 08:33 PM.

Are you VXR enough?

Quote Originally Posted by mikez1 View Post
    It should still return the pedal I believe just at ignition when everything is getting electric passed through. If that pedal is rock hard or you have a leak the vac pump would be running constantly like it did for me until it builds the vacuum. If you have nothing making a sound when pumping that pedal hard then maybe the pump has packed in.

One thing to check is that valve on the pic you posted, the one with the brown plug. I believe that's a vacuum sensor. With mine unplugged the vacuum pump doesnt kick in.

Disconnect that plug and just make sure all the contacts are clean then reconnect it.

These are just ideas from my experience with the car. Without seeing yours it's hard to tell.
    Thanks for that. Unfortunately I'm off on holiday early tomorrow so won't get another look and test until I return but that'll be the first thing I check.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3