+ Reply to Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Traction slip and loss of power (limp mode)

Hi everyone,

New to the site but thought Iíd post a bit of useful information that I struggled to find info on in case it helps anyone else.

I recently started to notice a strange traction slip on the front wheels when Iíd accelerate hard in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear. Over a week it gradually got worse and worse. At first I assumed it was because of recent wet weather and poor tyre quality (despite being brand new tyres) so I took it to have them replaced to Michelin Pilots Super Sports. After they were fitted I took it out and floored it hard in 3rd to see if they would lose traction. To my surprise they lost traction quickly but was then followed by the service light on the display starting to flash (yellow car with Spanner symbol) then the car went into limp mode. I pulled over quickly and the car was really struggling to idle. I turned the engine off and waited a while then turned it back on, the service light had gone and the car was fine so I drove home carefully and gently.

I called the AA out at home to check the car as I knew something wasnít right. He ran his diagnostic to check for errors and it said the car was misfiring. He checked the spark plugs and one had blown slightly so he referred me to the garage to have the plugs changed and adivsed the coil pack be replaced too. Itís going in the garage sometime this week so Iíll update on the result as to whether it needs a new coil pack (probably will) and if they find anything else wrong.

I know coil packs fail a lot on the Corsa VXR but Iíve not heard anything of people having traction issues as well. Has anyone else experienced the same symptoms?

Cheers,
    Michael

VXR newbie

Hi Pal,

I've noticed mine does this when i floor it in 2nd or 3rd the traction control or ESP light i think flashes up on dash and car tugs to left slightly for a few seconds even in a dry weather conditions and decent tyres basically new so i have no idea on traction side of it but hasn't stopped me. Before i got my VXR i had a 1.2 limited edition which went into limp mode car with spanner in the middle would come on dash and wouldn't go any faster than 30mph and wasn't firing on all cylinders but switching the engine off and leaving for few mins and started back up would solve the issue and i would be able to continue and this was a on off occasion gradually got worse and more frequent to one day car wouldn't start what so ever in the end no garage could find the fault and vauxhall did and had codes read and needed new throttle body £200 later all fitted and picked up with a day car fun perfectly and has since covered 60k miles since then and drives fine but since sold the pile of rubbish in favor of the VXR now which has been perfect for me since owning it touch wood lol let me know if you manage to fix it

VXR newbie

I managed to get it into the garage and as they thought it was one of the spark plugs had completely burnt out so it was running on only 3 hence the misfiring. They replaced all the plugs and the coil pack at £260 including labor and VAT which isn’t too bad of a price to be fair. I was tempted to do it myself as the spark plugs and coil pack are very easy to change in the VXR but I didn’t want to risk there being any other issues so I let the garage check it over.
    After having it fixed it’s driven better than it ever has with the engine running perfectly and feels much quicker than before. I haven’t experienced any traction slip at all since it’s been fixed but having looked into the problem more I’m beginning to think it wasn’t traction slip I was feeling but instead the wheels juddering due to the lack of power as the manual states that when the service light comes on (car with Spanner) it can have problems with steering and traction. But it’s all fixed now and running like a dream as it should be!
    My second car was a Corsa VXR

+ Reply to Thread