+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Are you VXR enough?

Default Brake Test Report

Ok, fitted new rear calipers and also while I was at it I replaced the handbrake cable. Managed to get a good pedal feedback after bleeding brakes all round but handbrake didn't feel good. Carried out the auto adjust, well the instructions vary depending on the source. Getting around 7ish clicks before it holds. Took it on a hill and it held in position. To satisfy my curiosity I took it to my local garage and they managed to find time to put it through the brake test procedure on the rolling road. Got a printout and it went like this...

service brake front left 299kgf - right 299kgf imb 0%
    rear brake left 212kgf - right 196kgf imb 8%

brake total efficiency 57%

parking brake left 169kgf - right 136kgf imb 20%

parking brake total efficiency 17%

It was a pass but I think it was a close call. Anyone have any figures to compare?

I was surprised that the rears were so different when the calipers were new, the brake discs and pads were recently changed and were of minor wear on each side?

Any ideas on how this can be improved?

What about pads if the fit is to tight would effect results.

I think you have a little adjustment on handbrake or fine adjustment call it.

How did you reset the auto adjust.
    Last edited by Jon1796; 26th December 2018 at 11:08 AM.

How many miles on the pads & discs? Have you done a proper bed-in yet?

OPC ÉIRE- Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

Are you VXR enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1796 View Post
    What about pads if the fit is to tight would effect results.

I think you have a little adjustment on handbrake or fine adjustment call it.

How did you reset the auto adjust.
    Carried it out as per the haynes manual and also some threads around the net. Pushed spring back and put clip in place, put some pressure on brake pedal and then pulled on hand brake. I did try adjusting the slider but that made no difference to the travel of the hand brake

Are you VXR enough?

Quote Originally Posted by VeXeR View Post
    How many miles on the pads & discs? Have you done a proper bed-in yet?
    Had them changed about 2 months ago and have driven umpteem miles to and from work, approx 1000 per month, so I hope they may have bedded in by now? It only seems to be the rear right that is causing the issues on the read out?

Thinking on the auto adjust 7 clicks, it's auto yes but you have to do manual adjust to set up in the first place for the auto part to work correctly

Are you VXR enough?

I changed mine recently. After changing I didn't put the handbrake on and started the engine, pumped the brake pedal alot to make sure everything was as close to the disc as possible then pulled the handbrake. Initially it was 5 clicks and didn't grip well until bedded in after a couple of hundred miles. Now it's down to 3 or 4 clicks and holds solid.

Maybe something wasn't done quite right or you have a dodgy caliper?

Quote Originally Posted by sinbrad View Post
    Had them changed about 2 months ago and have driven umpteem miles to and from work, approx 1000 per month, so I hope they may have bedded in by now? It only seems to be the rear right that is causing the issues on the read out?
    Try 5-6 hard successive braking from 60/70mph down to 20mph, hard slows, without engaging ABS where possible.
    You'll need a quiet road/motorway, perform each braking procedure within quick succession of the previous.
    Brakes may start to fade and even smell after 4 cycles, so ensure you've no obstructions in front of you, just in case.

If that doesn't sort some of the imbalance
    Once completed 5-6 cycles, drive on with minimal/no use of the brakes to allow time for them to cool.

The figures as they stand aren't all that bad, but no harm in trying to improve upon them.

https://youtu.be/nlEZDF5z9O4

See if I can have a got later if I get time.

Thinking a loud......the black tab has to be adjusted the be in the position to release the lock on cable piston so spring can take any slack when you next pull lock comes on ,piston so hand brake self adjusts.
    Last edited by Jon1796; 27th December 2018 at 10:44 AM.

Just took mine apart still get 7 clicks but pads are halfway down. I’ll have to wait till I get some new pads.
    I wound the black stop forward.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Jon1796; 27th December 2018 at 01:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast