+ Reply to Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Head Gasket or Piston 4 Problem ?

Hi guys,

I've owned a Vauxhall Sri with a Z16LEL engine for about 3 months now. 2 weeks ago the engine starting to judder under hard acceleration almost as if I lost a cylinder. I tested compression and all was with 5 PSI of each other so I replaced spark plugs and coil pack and after starting I could tell it was misfiring at idle; normal driving was fine but under hard acceleration, it would judder. I also noticed it would pop and bang a lot more. it also then started to smoke out the exhaust I'm pretty sure it was coolant as it has that pungent smell although there had appeared to be no coolant loss from the reservoir.

I had hooked up an OBD scanner and 2 codes were their random misfire with low fuel and later that day misfire on cylinder 4. I had unplugged each fuel injector and cylinders 1-3 there was a strong change in idle but unplugging cylinder 4 there was a change but not nearly as much as the other cylinders. due to the pops and bangs, I would assume that would be due to excess fuel which means either no compression or spark but both these have been tested. I am a bit confused on what is the problem head gasket or a failed piston 4 or both as I'm pretty sure its burning coolant but if it was just a head gasket problem causing the misfire it would have to affect two adjacent cylinders. any advice would greatly be appreciated. I don't have a very big budget to fix this issue so can't afford to put in the shop it's going to have to be a DIY job. btw I've already started stripping the engine bay down because either way the head needs to come off.

Kind Regards, Jamie.

VXR enough

Out of interest where did you get it from?

I sold my white SRI 3 months ago...
    Corsa SRI Turbo (SOLD) and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE (SOLD) - Now Ecoboost Fiesta 140 and Suzuki GS500

VXR newbie

Quote Originally Posted by u33db View Post
    Out of interest where did you get it from?

I sold my white SRI 3 months ago...
    Got it from a dealer called vixen prestige in Bracknell

VXR enough

Hmmm, doesn't sound like mine then unless the reg is SWxxEGU.

Very odd symptoms considering compression is ok and you've done plugs/coilpack.
    Corsa SRI Turbo (SOLD) and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE (SOLD) - Now Ecoboost Fiesta 140 and Suzuki GS500

VXR newbie

Quote Originally Posted by u33db View Post
    Hmmm, doesn't sound like mine then unless the reg is SWxxEGU.

Very odd symptoms considering compression is ok and you've done plugs/coilpack.
    yeah i did. its very strange i have taken it to my friend who is a mechanic and he is going to have a look at it as i might have missed something.

VXRed

If you have good compression and no coolant loss why you not try with different injector ?

+ Reply to Thread