+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed blooded

Default VXR or Focus ST?

I'm guessing most owners will say they prefer the VXR to a Focus ST (both 2016my) but wondering if anyone has had both to compare.
    I'm leaning to the VXR as it looks more sporty with 3 doors (don't need more) but a Focus is cheaper and i guess more practical?
    I've had a MK1 VXR in the past and a MK1 ST (both 2007my), both had a dreamscience remap, both went well (VXR more manic/ ST very smooth), both did around 22mpg
    Does the 2016my VXR still have the gearbox problems the early models had? is there any other "common" problems?

Hoping to view both at the weekend (if still for sale), VXR has 25k and the ST has 21k, similar money so it'll be down to which i prefer (if either) - oh, both red

VXRed blooded

St is a great car too, for me the Astra was the better car, looks wise, it blows the focus awaaaaaaaay!

Talking

It so happens I have owned both, so can give you my honest opinion.

I owned an Astra J VXR, 2015 plate, from new for two years and absolutely loved it.

Kept it standard and loved everything about it...

Power delivery, grip and get away speed from a standing start were all excellent for a front wheel drive car.

Only reason I sold it was because of the large doors and lack of practicality, again due to only two large doors.

Purchased a 2016 Focus ST3 in 2017 with every optional extra, including 19” wheels, heated seats and steering wheel.

Again, great car but not in the same league, imho. Even though the ST was 250BHP, you cannot use the power like you can in the Astra. Ford use torque vectoring to combat torque steer and it doesn’t work. The car lit up the tyres for fun and I so missed the limited slip diff in the VXR.

So much so in fact that I only had the ST for 12 months.

I now have the latest Focus RS and have AWD and practicality all in one car.

If you’re not bothered about only having two large doors (tight squeeze in a parking space), then I would go for the Astra J VXR over the Focus MK3 ST any day.

Hope this helps?

Steve.

I love the VXR’s that much, that we also have the Corsa E VXR as well.
    Last edited by srea064; 9th January 2019 at 09:14 PM.
    *** Cavalier MK3 SRi 130 > Astra J SRi 2.0 CDTi 160 VX Line and a Corsa D VXR > GTC SRi 1.6T 180 VX Line > Astra GTC VXR 280 > Focus MK3 ST3 250 > Focus MK3 RS and a Corsa E VXR ***

VXR enough

what tyres did your astra have fitted pal , I got nowt but wheel spin when I had mine , it had Pirelli's on it though

Quote Originally Posted by bembo449 View Post
    what tyres did your astra have fitted pal , I got nowt but wheel spin when I had mine , it had Pirelli's on it though
    Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the Astra VXR, stuck like glue.

Michelin Pilot Sport 3’s on the Focus ST 3, span all the time.
    *** Cavalier MK3 SRi 130 > Astra J SRi 2.0 CDTi 160 VX Line and a Corsa D VXR > GTC SRi 1.6T 180 VX Line > Astra GTC VXR 280 > Focus MK3 ST3 250 > Focus MK3 RS and a Corsa E VXR ***

VXR enough

ah fare enough pal , the Pirelli's are known to be garbage lol

VXRed blooded

Cheers Steve
    The ST looks more practical but the VXR looks more sporty which suits me as i only drive to work and back so don't need the extra doors.
    The previous VXR i had with and without the DS map pulled all over the place when giving it some on the bends - fun but not on narrow roads it had the 19"s fitted with Falkens and didn't once get stuck in the snow which i was impressed with.
    The ST with and without the DS map i found could put the power down as it was so smooth - boost didn't come in all at once but although fast it didn't feel it which i missed.

If you were looking at a VXR with 15k - 25k (2016my) what sort of problems should be looked for? does the gearbox crunch, are there electrical gremlins, etc?
    What are the wheels like - do they suffer from corrosion on the faces? bend easily?
    My last Astra (2012my) also in red seemed to pick up swirls easy even though i'm careful, is the paint thin/ brittle?

Cheers

My 2015 Astra gears were fine, some are a bit clunky, simply test drive a few and insist on a gearbox oil change every service.

As the car had a Drexler Limited Slip Diff housed in the box, it needs regular oil changes. Keep on top of this and the Astra will serve you well.

+ Reply to Thread