+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Default Vxr steering feel

Hello everyone,

I've been around here for a few years enjoying this great site and now I'm wondering about the astra vxr steering feel, I hope you can help me.

I've had my car for 3 years and the steering always felt heavier that most cars I've driven, in fact I can't park easily one handed or during low speed maneuvering.
    I'm sorry if my explanation is a bit awkward but using the palm of my hand, I have to apply a lot of pressure to the steering.
    Is this how it should be?

No weird noises, no leaks, fluid level seems good, no error codes, but the other day, after sitting for 3 days, the steering felt just a little lighter and nicer!
    And stayed so for 4 or 5 days, now is back to its initial state.

Now I'm wondering if I have a problem or not...

Could you let me know about your steering behavior and feel?

Thank you!

VXR enough

Have you got wider than standard tyres? Have you got spacers fitted to give a wider track? Both these will make the steering heavier at low speed.

Was the ground icy over the last 4-5 days?

VXRed

Thanks for the replies!

All standard, 18" inch wheels with michelin tyres

And no ice on the ground here, its been colder but not that much.

No change in the steering feel since i first posted so... i have no idea if its normal for the Astra H, maybe ill try with my friends astra's to see if its any different.

Its hard to tell by watching a video, but i can't do as in this video (30s in):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f88iecgQ9Tg

Specially when he turns the wheel to the left (almost full lock with the palm of the hand), i can't do that, the steering kind of slips from my hand, like there's too much resistance.
    If i grab the wheel its ok, like the guy in the video does right at the beginning.

Thanks for the help everyone
    Last edited by ptwarlord; 10th February 2019 at 07:24 PM.

Are you VXR enough? ARCTIC MARK's Avatar

You're not the only one, I had new tyres fitted last year and to me the steering feels heavy too, I drive a company car daily so feel the difference even more when I get in the Astra
    Opel Astra Burg #686, Eibach springs, Bilstein shocks, Whiteline adjustable rear anti roll bar, Turbo smart actuator & recirculation valve, Brembo 4 pot brakes, DNA Performance FMIC, Enlarged top hat & pipework, 3" Turbo back stainless exhaust, 6k AFL's, Smoked side repeaters, Silvatec indicator lamps, Heko wind deflectors, Insignia washer jets, Crossover delete, Piper cross cone filter, SM Tuning Stage 3 - 300BHP / 310ftlb Torque.

VXRed

Maybe its just how they are. The first owner of the car told me it was always like that, but well... you never know.

Astras with the TWR pump (not VXR's obviously) seem way lighter, so maybe it's the way our pumps are supposed to be... But that's why i'm asking for some feedback, to see if its the same with other owners out there

+ Reply to Thread