+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Default Buying Corsa VXR advice wanted

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a Corsa VXR, think they look stunning and even more fun to drive. I had found one on autotrader, but upon contacting the garage was informed it was with Vauxhall currently having the con rod fixed basically the piston. It was over boosting at 2.0 bar. The garage is getting it fixed but I am now doubting buying the car as this is more often then not a clear indication itís been thrashed, it also has a hybrid turbo, AirTec intercooler and some other mods the garage wasnít sure about.

Any advice muchly appreciated is it worth a punt as itís only going to be a 2nd car.

VXR enough

they are many common faults on the corsa but the main one is piston failure , personally I'd buy a completely standard one pal then you have the option wether to remap it or add any performance upgrades , HPi clear but make sure its not been through a hedge and repaired off the books , there are a lot of well kept / mature owner cars about so take your time to find a good one

Quote Originally Posted by MACDavison30 View Post
    Hi all,

I am looking to buy a Corsa VXR, think they look stunning and even more fun to drive. I had found one on autotrader, but upon contacting the garage was informed it was with Vauxhall currently having the con rod fixed basically the piston. It was over boosting at 2.0 bar. The garage is getting it fixed but I am now doubting buying the car as this is more often then not a clear indication itís been thrashed, it also has a hybrid turbo, AirTec intercooler and some other mods the garage wasnít sure about.

Any advice muchly appreciated is it worth a punt as itís only going to be a 2nd car.
    How are the garage fixing it? I thought if it was with Vauxhall they would recommend a new engine.

Also how many miles?

Imo it depends what you wanted from the car, if we're talking hybrid turbos etc then someone has put abit of money into it.

If you have no interest in remaps and modding the car then I would buy standard as the above post says, as p4 going is uncommon on standard cars.

However... If your planning on tuning or indeed just want a faster corsa I would look into what's been done and how the garage was going about fixing it. If fixed right you could have a fast reliable car in the end.

The only problem is, is that you don't know past maps etc I would get a fresh map from the tuner as the cars built for a remap with the mods it has.

If can't be bothered with that then go standard theres plenty for sale from what I've seen. But again even those may have been thrashed/abused.

There's a few signs to look out for when buying

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arron D; 6th February 2019 at 05:24 PM.
    Corsa D Vxracing Various bits & bobs done
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...rsa-D-VxRacing

Instagram Vxracing488

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by bembo449 View Post
    they are many common faults on the corsa but the main one is piston failure , personally I'd buy a completely standard one pal then you have the option wether to remap it or add any performance upgrades , HPi clear but make sure its not been through a hedge and repaired off the books , there are a lot of well kept / mature owner cars about so take your time to find a good one
    This is good advice. My 10 plate VXR is 100% standard and with 45k on the clock. Serviced every year by Vauxhall and never thrashed when cold. The main problem these days will be finding an early model that has working AC and doesn't have rusty wheel arches where the bumper meets the body.

+1 for wheel arch rust awareness !

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Corsa D Vxracing Various bits & bobs done
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...rsa-D-VxRacing

Instagram Vxracing488

VXRed

Don't jump right in to buying have a good look around for one. Do ur homework on them. There's is afew threads on here. I though I was buying a good one until gearbox went rear Calipers seized wheel bearing AC compressor blown and 3 radiators. Apart from that yeah there brilliant.

I know you're probably excited about owning one, and just want to get one on your drive ASAP, but what the lads have put up top is definitely the best/safest approach to buying a VXR.

Get the right one, and it'll be worth the wait. Get the wrong one and you'll never enjoy it.
    Corsa VXR Nurburgring
    White

VXRed

Hi

Thanks for the post and advice, it’s much appreciated. Think I’ve found a nice car unfortunately it’s in Watford lol. But I think it’s worth a road trip to look at. Hopefully it’s as nice in real life as it looks in the pictures fingers crossed.

+ Reply to Thread