+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Default Astra h vxr LEH engine. strange noise when turbo boosts

Hi guys, i'm new here-first post so be kind ! My knowledge on engines etc is limited so please bare with me. So.... I have an astra h vxr 58 plate had it about a year and half and had no problems with it until now. I had a stage 2 remap done last week (MW performance) in Chester. Already had a straight through exhaust front to back and had an induction kit put on at time of map. So im out driving the vehicle boosting as hard as it will let me after my remap and during the boost, usually when im properly giving it some, i get a loud wooshing noise like compressed air is leaking out of something then the same noise flutters like a very fast woosh woosh woosh woosh sound until i stop boosting! Ive had a mehcanic out in the car with me who says its my waste gate letting off excess turbo pressure on full boost so it doesnt blow. This noise does come with a slight loss of power so that would make sense. So my question is this, what is the noise and is it the map using too much turbo that is the reason and if so how do i stop it? If not what else could i start looking at and how to fix this issue? It's not the air intake noise or the 'turkey noise' that it makes when you let off the accelorator, i'm aware of these, its something different! These noises are only during boost until i stop boosting. Thanks in advance chaps.
    Last edited by Itsreg; 4th March 2019 at 03:29 PM.

VXRed

Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These type of problems are a mine field

But it does sound like your actuator is weak and can't keep the waste gate penny valve closed

Take it to garage ask them to test the actuator with a mityvac tool

10 psi the is the standard break off pressure if the actuator arm moves before 10 psi it's either out of adjustment and it needs some more preload adding to it, or it is worn out
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Planning to go stage 3/3.5 eventually

VXRed

Nice one, thanks man. I’ll see if I have any joy!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsreg View Post
    Bump

I've moved it to the chat section as it was in Members cars - basically where you put a build/progress thread - you'll get more help in here

Astra

You could try and get a friend to record the noise and upload it here

Tuned By Rabbid Remaps

VXRed

Problem solved. This was the turbo down pipe clip stopping the actuator rod moving. Moved the clip, all is good!

+ Reply to Thread