+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Alignment

VXRed

Default Wheel Alignment

Hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advise, I need two new tyres as my rears are very worn. I'm going to put my fronts to my rear and put two new tyres on the front.

I had all my wheels balanced/aligned a couple of months ago and the car drives perfectly right now. My question is, if I put two new tyres on the front and move my current front tyres to the rear, am I going to need to have everything aligned again? Or will it be ok?

Sorry for the noobie question, first time really having to go through the whole procedure of changing tyres lol

Yes no two tyres are alike even from the same batch each one is a bit different if you don't do it your new tyres won't last very long you will get excessive wear on one edge depending on if they are towing out or in

Even more so given the fact your last alignment was a few months ago your tracking has probably already moved due to potholes speed bumps etc
    Last edited by Andyb712; 14th March 2019 at 11:35 AM.
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Planning to go stage 3/3.5 eventually

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Andyb712 View Post
    Yes no two tyres are alike even from the same batch each one is a bit different if you don't do it your new tyres won't last very long you will get excessive wear on one edge depending on if they are towing out or in

Even more so given the fact your last alignment was a few months ago your tracking has probably already moved due to potholes speed bumps etc
    Alright cheers mate, so I should get all four tyres tracked?? How much should I expect to pay for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXR enough

What - you recommend having wheel alignment done everytime you change tires?

Thats just madness and a tremendous waste of money!

I agree that tracking may have drifted out over time but really people get too hung up on wheel alignment...unless its stupidly out (to the point you can actually see it standing in front of the car) you'll easily burn through new tyres due normal mileage/wear-tear rather than from alignment being out. Seriously.

Add to the fact the OP only had it done a few months no way should anyone be telling him to blow another £60 to have it done again so soon.
    Corsa SRI Turbo (SOLD) and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE (SOLD) - Now Ecoboost Fiesta 140 (Bluefinned, Eibachs, B8s), Suzuki GS500 and Kawasaki GPZ900 with ZZR Suspension

£60? I pay 25 at local tyre shop most places charge 30

On a cheap run about with 14's on maybe i'd agree but for the price of vxr tyres I would not risk ruining them for the sake of trying to save £25-30 thats a false economy to me

Even more so considering our tyres average at around £125 each

Even budget brands are around 70 each

And for clarification are we talking hunter hawkeye with printout etc or laser alignment because im saying laser alignment not hawkeye
    Last edited by Andyb712; 14th March 2019 at 12:38 PM.
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Are you VXR enough? Nurburgring 223's Avatar

Most places offer a free check anyway so no harm getting it checked!
    Astra VXR GTC, Summit White, Aero Pack, Performance Seat Pack, AFL's, Sat Nav, Climate Control, Tints! SOLD

VXRed

Yeah I guess I'll get it checked and then maybe look at getting it re-aligned depending on that. Currently torn between the vredestein ultrac vorti and the Eagle F1 asymmetric 3...

VXR enough

£60? I pay 25 at local tyre shop most places charge 30

On a cheap run about with 14's on maybe i'd agree but for the price of vxr tyres I would not risk ruining them for the sake of trying to save £25-30 thats a false economy to me

Even more so considering our tyres average at around £125 each

Even budget brands are around 70 each

And for clarification are we talking hunter hawkeye with printout etc or laser alignment because im saying laser alignment not hawkeye
    Its £50-60 for 4 wheel alignment most places up here, and has been for many a year.

if you can get it free or for for £30 then perhaps its an idea.

I personally wouldn't bother spending the money or time if the car is behaving itself..."for clarification" i fit my own tyres and do my own alignment and even on wheel alignment has never been a real issue after changing rubber, even on lowered cars.

I'm just not into flushing money away for no reason.

Suggestion to the OP: why not fit your tyres and run them for a few weeks? It should be fairly obvious from looking at the tread and how the car drives if it needs alignment
    Corsa SRI Turbo (SOLD) and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE (SOLD) - Now Ecoboost Fiesta 140 (Bluefinned, Eibachs, B8s), Suzuki GS500 and Kawasaki GPZ900 with ZZR Suspension

If you pay that then fair enough can see why your reluctant to spend it if I'm desperate my mate at vauxhall does it on Saturday mornings for £10 but i guess I'm lucky in that respect

But as the op has said he is getting decent quality so I would do it no doubt

But at the end of the day he can make his own mind up now he has a few opinions to go off
    Last edited by Andyb712; 14th March 2019 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by u33db View Post
    Its £50-60 for 4 wheel alignment most places up here, and has been for many a year.

if you can get it free or for for £30 then perhaps its an idea.

I personally wouldn't bother spending the money or time if the car is behaving itself..."for clarification" i fit my own tyres and do my own alignment and even on wheel alignment has never been a real issue after changing rubber, even on lowered cars.

I'm just not into flushing money away for no reason.

Suggestion to the OP: why not fit your tyres and run them for a few weeks? It should be fairly obvious from looking at the tread and how the car drives if it needs alignment
    Your lucky £100 for that down here then it doesn’t drive straight so gave up and do it myself instead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast