+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Default My VXR thinks ts a washing machine

After travelling about 20 miles on the way home from work the car suddenly starting shaking side to side when accelerating, ease off the accelerator and it slowly stops when the speed reduces. Doesn't matter what gear it's in either.

This shaking from side to side is very very bad, it's physically shaking you at the same time.

Took it to a garage who had it on ramps for about 30 mins and they just couldn't find anything and it ran just fine on short trips since.

Went to work again yesterday and it was fine all the way there but on the way back around the same point in my journey the car starts its shaking again so i pull over and check the wheels which are fine, check the engine and it looks like it might be rocking back and forth a bit too much but the car is shaking side to side not back and forth.

After not spotting anything obvious I continue my journey home and not a single wobble at all for the last 5 or 6 miles at 60 mph.

I have no idea what could make the car shake side to side so violently and if garage can't see anything then maybe something is out of balance in the engine maybe?

Could it be an engine mount at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXRed

That's one of the few things I thought it could be but like I said, the mechanic had it up in the air for 30 mins and checked everything and saw nothing wrong. Although maybe with the heat after a decent run the rubber becomes supple enough to allow extra movement but surely it wouldn't suddenly cool down when I stopped to check the car in such a short space of time.

Going to have to try another garage to see if something was missed or he was just useless.

Have you hit any big potholes recently it could be a flat spotted alloy

Had a similar problem recently it turns out one of my rear wheels was severely flat spotted it gave the same symptoms you describe very heavy vibration and shaking at high speed felt through the entire car which slowly eased off as you slow down

It may be worth having a good look at the inside edge of each alloy
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Planning to go stage 3/3.5 eventually

VXRed

Not that I remember, Wouldn't that cause the issue all the time though?

Only at speed especially if it's on the back i only noticed it at 60-70 only found it when I got the wheels balanced on the balancing machine the wheel looked like an egg spinning round lol
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Planning to go stage 3/3.5 eventually

VXRed

Can't be that then, as it just appears out of nowhere, as driving just fine at 70 or so for about 15-20 miles and then it slowly started then the whole car just went within a minute or so. It then does it at all speeds in all gears too which is weird.

+ Reply to Thread