+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXRed

Default Two very annoying problems

Iíve had these problems for a while but struggled to find anyone with the same issues.

Firstly, when driving hard in the same gear or high rpms say for example on track the clutch pedal becomes really hard and the biting point moves to the bottom of the pedal, this makes the gear crunch when changing as the clutch isnít disengaging fully as the pedal bite has gone literally to the floor, this doesnít happen at all when driving normally as the bite is usually about 3/4 up the pedal. This is a nightmare on track and makes driving really hard. Similar problem when you jump off heavy throttle and straight onto the brakes. They are unresponsive for a couple of seconds then suddenly they kick in like a brick wall.

Second issue Iím having is a really annoying misfire. Itís when pulling away in 1st or driving very slowly in second (mainly, does happen when cruising too) on very light throttle. The car sort of coughs and kangaroos especially when pulling out of junctions. When full throttle it doesnít skip a beat and pulls as it should.

Any ideas for the above? Got another track day coming up and want it fixed before hand!

VXRed

Any ideas? Clutch is noticeably stiffer when accelerating hard

Unsure on your clutch issue unfortunately but with regards to the misfire I had a very similar issue myself when I first bought the car but I only had it in sport mode! I changed the plugs and it cured it but I have seen people suggest coil pack could cause this too

The clutch is an odd one, we've had a similar problem with my brother's (not vauxhall) car and it turned out to be two issues, vibrations causing the fluid to foam and the clutch slave to retract from the clutch. Neither of which should effect the Astra as I'm pretty sure it has a sprung slave, bleading the clutch wouldn't hurt if it's never been done.

A hard pedal immediately after coming off the power could be a failed one way valve in the vac hose to the servo.

VXRed

Plugs are new (PFTR6-G) but the clutch issue is really annoying, it’s almost of positive pressure is building when under heavy throttle. I’ve never bled the clutch but just seems strange as obviously when the clutch goes hard and bite moves to the bottom of the pedal you always crunch or miss a gear, if you come to a stop and trying moving off again 1mm of clutch movement and the car rockets off, nightmare. Could the one way valve (one behind the rocker cover I’m assuming?) affect the clutch pedal? Really annoying as it seems to be getting worse and I’m gonna cause damage on track

Maybe worth trying someone elses working coil pack regarding the misfire?

VXRed

The misfire is also very annoying as it’s intermittant, like today it’s been fine, no issues at all, but then all of a sudden it will play up

VXRed

Anyone else got any ideas?

As above. Sounds like lots of dirt particles in the brake fluid (which serves both as clutch fluid and brake fluid), causing blockage, giving that hard pedal.
    When accelerating hard, the dirt particles move due to inertia causing greater blockage, stiffer pedal and lower biting point due to incomplete disengagement due to reduced amount of brake fluid making its way down to the slave cylinder.

Also as above; coilpacks or even MAF

OPC …IRE- Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

VXRed

I thought that however if the car is stationary and you rev it a good few times it does the same thing which makes the situation even more puzzling! Don’t know where to start! Brake fluid was flushed two weeks ago with ATE TYP200 Racing spec fluid however I haven’t bled the clutch yet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast